Voltmeter in Series as self inductance of cables is significant

In summary, the conversation is about using a lock-in amplifier to measure the AC voltage across a sample of superconducting wire in a cryostat. The circuit includes a constant V AC source, resistors R1 and R2, capacitors C1, and inductors L1 and L2. The goal is to determine the resistance of the sample as a function of AC frequency using the voltage across R1 and the voltage measured by the lock-in amplifier. The self-inductance and capacitance of the wires are taken into consideration, and the use of a voltmeter in parallel is suggested for obtaining an expression relating the voltages V2 and V3.
egon ll
Hello,

I am using a lock-in amplifier to measure the AC voltage across a small sample of superconducting wire located in a cryostat.
As the self-inductance and the capacitance of the wires used for the measurement are non-negligible, I have basically connected the lock-in amplifier in series with the sample.

Here is a circuit diagram:

___Constant V AC Source_______
| |
| |
| |
|_______R1_____________R2___|
| |
|_______| |_____ |
| | | |
| C1 |
L1 L2
| |
| |
|__Lock-in Amp____|

My aim is to determine the resistance R1 (resistance of the sample) as a function of AC frequency above and below the transition temperature of the sample.
The resistor R2 is supposed to make sure that the current through the circuit is constant.
It is also used to infer the current in the circuit by measuring the voltage across it (R2=47Ohms).

If V1 is the voltage across the voltage source, V2 is the voltage across R1 and V3 is the voltage measured by the lock-in amplifier,
I need to find an expression relating the 3.
The self-inductance of the wires is given by L1 and L2 and C1 is the capacitance of the wires running parallel.

V1 and V2 are related in the following way.

V2 = V1*R1/(R1+R2)

Now my question is, how do I obtain an expression relating V3 and V2?
I have tried to find a solution in a few books but I couldn't find anything.
All I could find on a Google search is that a voltmeter has to be connected in parallel which doesn't really help.

Thank you very much for your help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Circuit Diagram

Here is a better circuit diagram.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 380

1. How does a voltmeter in series measure self inductance in cables?

A voltmeter in series measures self inductance in cables by measuring the voltage drop across the inductive component of the cable. This voltage drop is then used to calculate the self inductance of the cable using the formula L = V/I, where L is the self inductance, V is the voltage drop, and I is the current flowing through the cable.

2. Why is it important to consider self inductance in cables when using a voltmeter in series?

Self inductance in cables can affect the accuracy of voltage measurements, especially at high frequencies. By considering self inductance and using a voltmeter in series, the voltage drop caused by the inductive component can be taken into account and a more accurate measurement can be obtained.

3. Can a voltmeter in series be used to measure self inductance in all types of cables?

Yes, a voltmeter in series can be used to measure self inductance in all types of cables, as long as the cable has an inductive component. This includes both insulated and uninsulated cables, as well as coaxial and twisted-pair cables.

4. How can the results from a voltmeter in series be used to improve the performance of a circuit?

The results from a voltmeter in series can be used to optimize the design and layout of a circuit, especially when dealing with high frequency signals. By understanding the self inductance of cables, engineers can make adjustments to minimize the effects of inductance and improve the overall performance of the circuit.

5. Are there any limitations of using a voltmeter in series to measure self inductance?

One limitation of using a voltmeter in series is that it can only measure the voltage drop caused by self inductance, not the actual value of the inductance. Additionally, this method may not be accurate for cables with high capacitance or when the frequency of the signal is constantly changing.