1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume bounded by 3 surfaces, did I do this correctly?

1. Aug 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the volume of the solid bounded by the surfaces
    ## (x^2 + y^2 + y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 ##
    ##x + y + z = 3 ##
    and ##z = 0##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I begin by converting to polar coordinates to do a cylindrical integration with 3 variables.

## (x^2 + y^2 + y)^2 = x^2 + y^2 ## becomes ##r^4 + 2r^3\sin\theta + r^2\sin\theta = r^2##

##x + y + z = 3 ## becomes ##z = 3 - r\cos\theta - r\sin\theta##

I graphed the first equation and found that 2 is the maximum value of r. Now I write a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates.

$$V = \iiint_E f(r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,z) r\,dz\,dr\,d\theta$$

then
    $$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}\int_{0}^{3-r\cos\theta-r\sin\theta}r\,dzdrd\theta$$
    then
    $$\int_{0}^{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2}3r-r^2\cos\theta-r^2\sin\theta\,drd\theta$$
    then
    $$\int_{0}^{2\pi}6-\frac{8}{3} \cos\theta-\frac{8}{3} \sin\theta\,d\theta$$
    which then becomes
    $$[12\pi + \frac{8}{3}] - [-\frac{8}{3}]$$
    final answer
    $$12\pi + \frac{16}{3}$$

I just want to know if what I did makes sense and if this is the correct answer.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2015 #2
    You need to take into account that r depends on theta, and as such you can't simply integrate it from 0 to 2 like you would with a cylinder of constant radius.

After a bit of algebra you should find that r is bounded between 0 and 1-sinθ, so the integral you want to evaluate is:

[tex] \int_0^{2\pi} \int _0^{1-sin\theta} \int_0^{3-rcos\theta-rsin\theta} rdzdrd\theta[/tex]

which I found to be 23/4 pi, but you may want to double check that for yourself.

4. Aug 2, 2015 #3
    Ah, thank you so much!! I knew it felt too easy ?:)

5. Aug 2, 2015 #4
    Can you help me understand how you found that r is bounded by 1-sinθ and 0?

6. Aug 2, 2015 #5
    So you have (x^2+y^2+y)^2 = x^2+y^2.

After converting to cylindrical coordinate and a bit of rearranging you have
    [tex] r^2 + r(sin\theta-1) = 0 [/tex]

Solving for r using the quadratic formula will give you r = 0 and r = 1-sinθ.

7. Aug 3, 2015 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Surely, you would just factor out an ##r## giving ##r(r+(\sin\theta-1))=0## instead of using the quadratic formula.

But that isn't the whole story. What you actually get upon changing to polar coordinates is$$
    r^4 + 2r^3\sin\theta+\sin^2\theta = r^2$$Upon dividing out ##r^2## and losing the trivial ##r=0##:$$
    r^2+2r\sin\theta + \sin^2\theta = 1$$ $$
    (r+\sin\theta)^2-1=0$$ $$
    (r+\sin\theta + 1)(r+\sin\theta -1) = 0$$So you actually get two solutions: ##r = \pm 1 - \sin\theta##. It turns out they both give the same cardioid but traced differently.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted