1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume, moles, density, molar mass =>separation of molecules!

1. Aug 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am doing an exercise from my physics book right now.
    I am given:

1 molecule of hydrogen corresponds to 3.7x10^-26 m^3
    1 molecule of led corresponds to 2.99x10^-29 m^3

the ratio of these volumes is 1.22x10^3

Q: Determine that the order of magnitude of the ratio separation of hydrogen molecules / separation of lead atoms is 10

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated the given data i described above, this is part d of the question and i have no idea!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2009 #2
    you are talking about molecules and not atoms. Therefore, as an example hydrogen normally comes in pair, meaning "H2". If you say that this molecule is 3.7 x 10^-26 m^3, than you can find the distance that seperate them, by know the size of the hydrogen atom. You do the same for the lead molecule and make a ration.

Cheers

4. Aug 18, 2009 #3
    the question is exactly the one i stated in my first post. hydrogen molecules and led atoms.
    any ideas ?

5. Aug 19, 2009 #4
    Ok, you ddi not get my last post. To find the average distance between the two atoms in a molecule, you need to substract the size of the molecule by the size of the atoms. Once you have the two, make a simple ratio.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook