Volume of a mole of air 15km above sea level

In summary: This should allow you to calculate the volume of 1 mole of air at an altitude of 15km above sea level, assuming a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius. In summary, using the equations P = P0 exp (-mgy/k(b) t) and pv = nRt, you can calculate the volume of 1 mole of air at an altitude of 15km above sea level, assuming a temperature of 0 degrees Celsius.
wannabero

Homework Statement

one mole of an ideal gas takes up 0.0225m3 at 0 degrees celsius and 1.01x10(5) pascals. (calculated)
hence, calculate the volume of 1 mole of air (ideal) at an altitude of 15km above sea level.
average molecular mass of air = 29 amu.
T @ altitude of 15km = 0 degrees C.

Homework Equations

I used pv=nrt for the first part.
another equation i can find is

M = m N A
where M is the mass of the mole in kg, m is the atomic mass unit in kg, N is the atomic mass, and A is avogadros constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

volume of a mole of air can be calculated using pv=nrt, rearranged for v which is v=nrt/p.
however, i have no idea how to bring the altitude into it!

thanks for help!

Edit: Perhaps equation P = P0 exp (-mgy/k(b) t)?
where m = average molecular mass in kg, g = acceleration due to gravity, y = altitude in m, kb is boltzmanns constant and t is temperature?
but I'm not sure where to find volume.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wannabero said:

Homework Statement

one mole of an ideal gas takes up 0.0225m3 at 0 degrees celsius and 1.01x10(5) pascals. (calculated)
hence, calculate the volume of 1 mole of air (ideal) at an altitude of 15km above sea level.
average molecular mass of air = 29 amu.
T @ altitude of 15km = 0 degrees C.

Homework Equations

I used pv=nrt for the first part.
another equation i can find is

M = m N A
where M is the mass of the mole in kg, m is the atomic mass unit in kg, N is the atomic mass, and A is avogadros constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

volume of a mole of air can be calculated using pv=nrt, rearranged for v which is v=nrt/p.
however, i have no idea how to bring the altitude into it!

thanks for help!

Edit: Perhaps equation P = P0 exp (-mgy/k(b) t)?
where m = average molecular mass in kg, g = acceleration due to gravity, y = altitude in m, kb is boltzmanns constant and t is temperature?
but I'm not sure where to find volume.
Your "EDIT" formula looks promising; Use it in conjunction with the pv = nRt that you mentioned earlier.

1. What is the volume of a mole of air at 15km above sea level?

The volume of a mole of air at 15km above sea level is approximately 22.4 liters. This is the standard molar volume at sea level and remains constant up to an altitude of 11km. Above 11km, the volume decreases due to the lower air pressure.

2. How is the volume of a mole of air affected by altitude?

The volume of a mole of air is affected by altitude due to the change in air pressure. As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases, leading to a decrease in volume. This is because the air molecules have more space to move around and spread out, resulting in a larger volume for the same number of moles.

3. Why is the volume of a mole of air important?

The volume of a mole of air is important in understanding the behavior of gases in the atmosphere. It is used in various calculations, such as the ideal gas law, which helps to predict how gases will behave under different conditions. Additionally, knowing the volume of a mole of air at different altitudes is crucial for understanding weather patterns and air pollution.

4. Does the volume of a mole of air change with temperature?

Yes, the volume of a mole of air changes with temperature according to the ideal gas law. As temperature increases, the volume also increases, assuming the pressure and number of moles of air remain constant. This is because the air molecules have more energy and move around more, occupying a larger volume.

5. How does the volume of a mole of air at 15km above sea level compare to sea level?

The volume of a mole of air at 15km above sea level is lower than at sea level due to the lower air pressure. It is approximately 22.4 liters at sea level and decreases to around 7 liters at 15km above sea level. This means that the air at higher altitudes is less dense and occupies a larger volume for the same number of moles compared to air at sea level.