1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a rectangle through a sphere

1. Nov 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that a square hole with sides of length 2 is cut symmetrically through
    the center of a sphere of radius 2. Show that the volume removed is given by
    Screen_Shot_2011_11_13_at_11_12_35_PM.png
    where
    Screen_Shot_2011_11_13_at_11_12_49_PM.png

I'm not sure how to approach this, but I figure you can express the sphere in terms of f(x,y,z) = [itex]x^2+y^2+z^2=4[/itex]
    then I express z in terms of x and y
    [itex]\sqrt{4-y^2-x^2}[/itex]

But now I'm guessing I need to set up a double integral. Looking at bounds, -2<x<2 and -1<y<1,

[itex]\int_{-2}^{2}\int_{-1}^{1}y\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}dydx[/itex]

Is this the right way to go???
    How then would I show it is given by the above integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are thinking about the hole going parallel to the z axis, right? Did you mean the integrand to be 2*sqrt(4-x^2-y^2)? And why should the x limits be different from the y limits if you want to cut out a square hole? The original question is a little confusing. You could just put F(x)=V. But I suspect they just want you do the dy integration and then use symmetry.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

Show, yeah, that's right. Now you livin' in the big house:

[tex]\text{myblackarea(x)}=\int_{-1}^{1} 2\sqrt{4-x^2-y^2}dy[/tex]

[tex]\text{myvolume}=\int_{0}^{1} \text{2 myblackarea(x)}dx[/tex]

And if you take the time to learn how to do this, you'll never have a problem with these integrals ever again. My point is, the act of creating the plot, cultivates an intutitive understanding of the underlying mathematics. So tell your teacher I said ask everyone in class to draw this picture even if it takes them 6 hours to figure out how.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook