Volume of a Solid- 3D Calculus

In summary: So you would have to do two integrals, each with a different x range. I assume you know how to do that.
fridakahlo

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the given solid.
Bounded by the planes
z = x, y = x, x + y = 5 and z = 0

Homework Equations

V = [PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/wastatic/wacache6cdd60ea0045eb7a6ec44c54d29ed402/watex/img/integral.gif[PLAIN]http://www.webassign.net/wastatic/wacache6cdd60ea0045eb7a6ec44c54d29ed402/watex/img/integral.giff(x,y) dA
For a type I integral: dA=dy*dx
and the domain is: a<x<b, g1(x)<y<g2(x)

For a type II integral: dA=dx*dy
and the domain is: c<y<d, h1(y)<x<h2(y)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I chose to evaluate this integral by making region D as a type I integral, therefore my domain is as follows:
0<x<5/2 & x<y<5-x
My f(x,y)=x
dA=dy*dx

Is it possible to do this as a type II integral? That way my limits would look a lot nicer, but I don't know what my h1(y) and h2(y) functions would be.

Attachments

• calculus3.gif
    calculus3.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 441
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi fridakahlo:

I think that when you calculate a volume by integration you need an integral of the form
V = ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dV = = ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dx dy dz

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi fridakahlo:

I think that when you calculate a volume by integration you need an integral of the form
V = ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dV = = ∫∫∫ f(x,y,z) dx dy dz

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
No, a volume integral would just be ∫∫∫dxdydz, no need for a function. But in this case fridakahlo is effectively assuming the z integral has been done, leaving either ∫∫fdxdy or ∫∫dydx.

@fridakahlo , yes you can do the x integral before y, but you would need to split the outermost integral into two ranges, y<2.5 and y>2.5.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid using 3D calculus?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid using 3D calculus is the triple integral ∭dV, where dV represents an infinitesimal volume element.

2. How do you determine the limits of integration for the triple integral in 3D calculus?

The limits of integration for the triple integral in 3D calculus are determined by the bounds of the solid in each of the three dimensions. This can be determined by graphing the solid or setting up the integral using known equations or inequalities.

3. Can the volume of a solid be negative when using 3D calculus?

No, the volume of a solid cannot be negative when using 3D calculus. The triple integral is always calculated as a positive value, representing the magnitude of the volume.

4. What are some real-world applications of calculating volume using 3D calculus?

Some real-world applications of calculating volume using 3D calculus include determining the volume of objects in engineering and architecture, calculating the volume of fluid flow in pipes and channels, and finding the volume of 3D shapes in physics and chemistry problems.

5. Are there any alternative methods for calculating the volume of a solid besides using 3D calculus?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating the volume of a solid, such as using the formulas for specific 3D shapes (e.g. cubes, cylinders, spheres), using geometric formulas like the Cavalieri's principle, or using physical measurements and calculations (e.g. water displacement). However, 3D calculus provides a more general and accurate method for calculating the volume of irregular or complex shapes.