1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of a sphere under a linear transformation R3->R4.

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So there's a linear transformation T: ℝ3 → ℝ4, standard matrix A that satisfies

det(A e1) = 5, det (A e2) = 4, det (A e3) = 5 and det (A e4) = 5

If S is the unit sphere, find the 3-dimensional volume of T(S).

2. Relevant equations
    Volume of sphere = 4/3 * pi * r^3
    Volume based on determinants = det(ATA)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the determinant of a matrix can be seen as the scaling factor for the volume change of a transformation. So the answer will be 4/3 * pi * (something). The (something) will probably be some kind of combination of the determinants above (5,4,5,5), but I have no clue how to find its value. I have spent hours on this question, it's driving me crazy. Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thinking about the ℝ1 → ℝ2 suggests a root-sum-squares relationship. Can't see how to generalise it yet.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Have now proved the following for both ℝ1 → ℝ2 and ℝ2 → ℝ3, but still don't see how to prove it in general.
    Denoting the square matrices formed by appending the basis vectors as Ai, det(ATA) = Ʃ(det(Ai))2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook