Volume of a substance (in a circle)

In summary, the conversation is about a math problem involving finding the volume of a circular radius given a density function. The problem involves calculating the total amount of oil within 5 miles of the center of a circular slick on the surface of the ocean. The speaker shares their approach of using the equation Area = 2(pi)(y)(x) and integrating the density function 6400e^(-κ/4) in polar coordinates. They also ask for confirmation that they have chosen the correct function.
ozone
Hi I just want to check that I am doing this math problem correctly. We were given a density function for review for an upcoming math test. We were then asked to find the volume in a circular radius given this density function. I will post the exact problem now then explain the steps I went through to solve it.
θ
The density of a crude oil in a circular slick on the surface of the ocean κ miles from the center is given by δ = 6400e^(-κ/4) gallons per square mile. Find the total amount of oil within 5 miles of the center of the slick

I decided to integrate the function with the equation Area = 2(pi)(y)(x)

Obviously I picked our density function for y and just plain x for x. The integration was slightly complex but I could handle that. I just want to make sure I picked the right function.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:
Hi I just want to check that I am doing this math problem correctly. We were given a density function for review for an upcoming math test. We were then asked to find the volume in a circular radius given this density function. I will post the exact problem now then explain the steps I went through to solve it.
θ
The density of a crude oil in a circular slick on the surface of the ocean κ miles from the center is given by δ = 6400e^(-κ/4) gallons per square mile. Find the total amount of oil within 5 miles of the center of the slick

I decided to integrate the function with the equation Area = 2(pi)(y)(x)

Obviously I picked our density function for y and just plain x for x. The integration was slightly complex but I could handle that. I just want to make sure I picked the right function.
Thank you.

You didn't. The density depends on the distance from the center. If the center is (0,0) then your [itex]k =\sqrt{x^2+y^2}[/itex]. So your integral should look like
[tex]\iint_R 6400e^{-\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}\, dydx[/tex] where R is your circular disk. You would want to set that up in polar coordinates to work it.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a substance in a circle?

The formula for calculating the volume of a substance in a circle is V = πr2h, where r is the radius of the circle and h is the height or depth of the substance.

What is the unit of measurement for volume?

The unit of measurement for volume is typically cubic units, such as cubic meters (m3) or cubic centimeters (cm3).

How is the volume of a substance in a circle different from the volume of a regular circle?

The volume of a substance in a circle takes into account the third dimension, which is the height or depth of the substance. This means that the volume of a substance in a circle will always be greater than the volume of a regular circle.

What factors can affect the volume of a substance in a circle?

The volume of a substance in a circle can be affected by the radius of the circle, the height or depth of the substance, and the density of the substance. Other factors such as temperature and pressure can also have an impact on the volume of the substance.

How can the volume of a substance in a circle be measured?

The volume of a substance in a circle can be measured by physically pouring the substance into a measuring container or by using mathematical calculations based on the known dimensions of the circle and the substance's density.