1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of cross sections using isosceles right triangle

1. May 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The area is bounded by the equation y=x^2, x axis and the line x=3 and is perpendicular to the x axis

2. Relevant equations
    A=1/2bh
    Height=Base

3. The attempt at a solution
    A=1/2B^2
    V=1/2B^2 from 0 to 3
    V=1/2 B^3/3 from 0 to 3
    V=B^3/6 from 0 to 3
    V=27/6

please tell me if im doing something wrong, on the right track or i'm correct

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are we to assume that the cross sections perpendicular to the x-axis are "isosceles right triangles"- with one leg perpendicular to the x-axis or the hypotenuse?

I think what you are trying to do is correct but your notation is very strange. You are given information about x and y- use them, not new variables! Assuming it is the leg that lies perpendicular to the x-axis then the other leg is just y= [itex]x^2[/itex]. The area of such a triangle is [itex](1/2)(x^2)(x^2)= x^4/2[/itex]. The "thickness" of each such cross-section is [itex]\Delta x[/itex] so the volume is [itex](1/2)x^4\Delta x[/itex]. In the limit that becomes an integral.

4. May 28, 2012 #3
    Its perpendicular to the x axis not the hypotenuse. Also I combined the variables as one because the height is equal to the base. Also, we weren't taught thickness so that information is not needed. However , in my problem i realize i forgot to plug in X^2

So redoing my work it would be :
    V=x^5/10 from 0 to 3 which is equal to 243/10 , therefore your answer should agree with mine after you integrate your work. I'm just not sure where the thickness part come in since i have not learned that yet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook