1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of gas in a thermdynamic cycle

1. Feb 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 1 mol sample of an ideal gas for which c'V = 3R/2 follows the closed thermodynamic cycle shown in Fig. 18-36. There are three legs in the cycle: an isothermal expansion, A B; an isobaric compression, B C; and a constant-volume increase in pressure, C A. The temperature during the isothermal leg is 340 K, pA = 1.8 atm, and pB = 1.2 atm. Find each of the following. (a) Va (b) Vb. (See attachment for image - ignore the pressure numbers on the graph and use the numbers given in the problem)

2. Relevant equations

Pv=nRT (initial and final)

3. The attempt at a solution

Pa: V= [1 mol (.08205784 L*atm/k*mol)(340K)]/1.8 atm = 15.499 L = .0155 M^3

Pb: V= [1 mol (.08205784 L*atm/k*mol)(340K)]/`1.2 atm = 23.25 L = .0232 M^3

When I plugged those answers to see if they were right, the first one came up right for the volume at A. But my response for the volume at B came up incorrect. I performed the problem in the same way just changing the numbers, I don't understand why it is incorrect. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank-you

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?