1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of parametrized manifold

1. Apr 13, 2009 #1
    I don't think this is a difficult problem, but I am not sure about what is being asked in the question. I got it from Munkres' Analysis on Manifolds page 193 Q 2.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A be open in R^k; let f : A-->R be of class C^r; let Y be the graph of f in R^(k+1), parametrized by the function @(x) = (x, f(x)). Express V(Y@) as an integral. (this is the volume of the graph of f)

2. Relevant equations

the volume of a parametrized manifold, or V(Y@) = integral over A of det((D@)^tr D@), where D@ is the derivative matrix of @ and D@^tr is the transpose of D@.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I would just use the above equation to express V(Y@) as an integral. But then I would be done a little too quickly, so I thought that maybe I am supposed to simplify the matrix multiplication or something. Am I missing something here?

Also, can someone tell me how to post using mathematical symbols?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2009 #2
    Can anyone confirm I am on the right track or am I way off? Or, at the very least, can someone tell me how to post using mathematical symbols. I am not very computer savvy. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook