1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volume of solid of revolution - y axis.

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the volume of the solid of revolution when we rotate the area limited by the x axis and the function f(x) = 1 - cosx where x e [0, 2∏] once around the y-axis?

3. The attempt at a solution

In my notes I have the following equation:

V = ∫ 2∏x f(x) dx

If I put in my limits (upper limit 2∏, lower limit 0) and my function I get the following:

V = 2∏ ∫x(1-cos(x)) dx

V = 2∏ ∫x - xcos(x) dx

V = 2∏[[itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] - (xsin(x)+cos(x))]

V = 2∏ [[itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] - (∏sin(∏) + cos(∏)] - 2∏ [[itex]\frac{0^2}{2}[/itex] - (0sin(0) + cos(0)]

Since ∏ sin(∏) = 0, cos(∏) = -1 , 0sin(0) = 0 and cos(0) = 1 I get the following:

V = 2∏ ([itex]\frac{∏^2}{2}[/itex]) - 2∏ + 1

V = ##2∏^3## - 4∏ + 2

Is this correct? Am I using the correct formulas/equations?

Please let me know if there is something I need to explain better. Any help and guiding is massively appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Check your integration by parts: should be -cos(x).

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    Sloppy mistake by me, there should of course be parenthesis around that equation.

V = 2∏[[itex]\frac{x^2}{2}[/itex] - (xsin(x)+cos(x))]

That slipped past me when I was writing off of my notes - therefore unless I again have overlooked something (which I've double checked I haven't), that mistake was a one off - I've solved the rest of the problem as if there were parenthesis around (xsin(x)+cos(x)). Therefore I get - (-1) -> +1 in my answer which I later multiply by 2.

Does it look ok besides that error?

Thanks for your input!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted