Volume, surface, and line integrals

In summary: Also, remember to include the surface integral contribution from the x=0 and x=1 faces. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the volume and surface integrals for a given vector and cube. The volume integral is calculated by finding the flux through each face of the cube and adding them together, while the surface integral involves evaluating the dot product of the vector and the outward normal for each face. The final answer for the volume integral is 35/12.
thercias

Homework Statement

Consider a vector A = (x^2 - y^2)(i) + xyz(j) - (x + y + z)k and a cube bounded by the planes x = 0, x = 1, y = 0, y = 1, z = 0 and z = 1
Determine the volume integral ∫∇.A dV where V is the volume of the cube
Determine the surface integral ∫A.n dS where s is the surface of the cube

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∇.A = 2x + xz -1
Volume integral = ∫∫∫(all from 0 to 1) (2x + xz -1)dxdydz
=1/4 (after simplifying)

Surface integral = (all from 0 to 1) ∫∫(x^2-y^2)dydz + ∫∫(x+y+z)dxdy + ∫∫(xyz)dxdz
this simplifies to a more complicated term

I know that both of these methods must lead to the same answer, so I know that I must be doing something wrong with assigning the integrals to evaluate. Can someone show me how to properly set up the volume and surface integrals? This is what I'm confused about the most.

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's an example for one of the faces. For the x=1 face, the outward normal is given by ##\hat{n} = \hat{i}##, so ##\vec{A}\cdot\hat{n} = x^2-y^2 = 1-y^2##. The flux through that face is therefore
$$\int_0^1 \int_0^1 (1-y^2)\,dy\,dz = \frac{2}{3}.$$ Try working out the rest on your own and show us what you get.

So one of the variables will be a constant for each side evaluated? So for,
integral of (x+y+z)dxdy
=(1+x+y)dxdy
=(x + x^2/2 + xy)dy
= (1 + 1/2 + y)dy
=y + 0.5y + y^2/2
= 1 + 0.5 + 0.5
=2

and integral of (xyz)dxdz from 0 to 1
=(1xz)dxdz
=(x^2/2)*z(dz)
=0.5z(dz)
=0.5z^2/2
=0.25

so 2 + 0.25 + 2/3 =35/12

Does this mean my volume integral is wrong?

You have to calculate the flux for all six faces of the cube. You've only done half of them so far.

So I use the same integrals listed above but compute them for the x = 0, y = 0, and z = 0 face, then add all the integrals together?
So the first x = 0 face it would be
-(-y^2)dydz
(y^3/3)dz
1/3

z = 0
-(x + y)dxdy
-(x^2/2 + xy)dy
-(0.5 + y)dy

y = 0

so 1/3 - 1.5 + 2/3 +2 + 0.25
= 1.75

Edit: nevermind, I'm doing something completely wrong. I just calculate the opposite faces, but wouldn't they lead to the negatives of the above?

Last edited:
No, they won't simply be the negatives. Recheck your calculations for the z=0 and z=1 faces.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the difference between volume, surface, and line integrals?

Volume integrals calculate the total volume of a three-dimensional object, surface integrals calculate the total surface area of a three-dimensional object, and line integrals calculate the total length of a one-dimensional curve.

2. How are integrals used in real-world applications?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to calculate quantities such as mass, force, work, and revenue. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects and in statistics to calculate probabilities.

3. What is the difference between a single and a double integral?

A single integral calculates the total value of a function along a one-dimensional interval, whereas a double integral calculates the total value of a function over a two-dimensional region.

4. How do you evaluate a line integral?

To evaluate a line integral, you must first parameterize the curve and then use the appropriate integral formula for the type of line integral (scalar or vector) being calculated. You may also need to use techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

5. Can you give an example of a real-world problem that can be solved using surface integrals?

A common example of a real-world problem that can be solved using surface integrals is calculating the heat transfer through a three-dimensional object. For instance, in engineering, surface integrals are used to determine the heat transfer rate in a heat exchanger or the heat loss in a building.