Volumes of revolution not around the axis

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 21K views
SheldonG
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the volume of [itex]y = 2x^2[/itex] y = 0, x = 2 when it is revolved around the line y = 8.

Homework Equations


Integral formulas for volumes by discs, washers and cylinders.

The Attempt at a Solution


Translate the curve so that axis of revolution is along the X axis. Is this the right idea? This gives [itex]y = 2x^2 - 8[/itex] . I would integrate this and subtract from the volume of the cylinder with radius 8 and height 2:

[tex]\pi(8^2)(2) - \int_0^2 \pi(2x^2 - 8)^2\,dx[/tex]

Is this the right approach?

Thanks,
Sheldon
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\pi\int_0^2 [ (8)^2 - (8 - 2x^2)^2 ] \,dx[/tex]

I think that works, because if you use the washer method, the outer radius is just the part that has a y-length of 8, and the inner radius is the part above the function and under y=8, so using pi (R^2 - r^2) integrated, that's what I get. Hope that helps :)
 
orb said:
[tex]\pi\int_0^2 [ (8)^2 - (8 - 2x^2)^2 ] \,dx[/tex]

I think that works, because if you use the washer method, the outer radius is just the part that has a y-length of 8, and the inner radius is the part above the function and under y=8, so using pi (R^2 - r^2) integrated, that's what I get. Hope that helps :)

It's the same thing he already wrote.