1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of Revolution Word Problem

1. Mar 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Assume that the Earth is a sphere with circumference of 24,900 miles.
    a. Find the volume of the Earth north of latitude 45 degrees. (hint: integrate with respect to y)
    b. Find the volume of the Earth between the equator and latitude 45

2. Relevant equations

circle: x^2 + y^2 = r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

so far, I have just been working on A. I took a cross section of the sphere from latitude 45 and up and drew it on a graph. I realized that if i revolved it around the y-axis that it would form the shape I need, a dome.

I found the radius using the circumference and set up my integral.
    i have: pi * int(124500pi - y^2 dy after simplifying.

I think i'm all set to integrate and find the answer, but I cant figure out what to use for the upper and lower bounds. I thought i might try and use sin(45) or cos(45) or tan(45), in some way, but I cant really wrap my head around the problem from this point forward.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2008 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… avoid using huge numbers … !

Hi xcgirl! :smile:

Hint: with big numbers like this, just put the radius = r throughout the calculation, and then put the number for r in at the end - you're much less likely to make a mistake (like forgetting to square something!) - and you won't have five-digit limits for the integral sign!

Yes, your approach seems fine.

Integrate over y, from y = r/√2 to r. :smile:

(If in doubt as to whether it's sin or tan, draw a diagram!)

4. Mar 19, 2008 #3
    when i do this, i am getting very large numbers, larger even then the actual volume of the earth. I'm not sure whats going on.

5. Mar 19, 2008 #4
    The integral you might be using, which seems to be

[tex]V = \pi\int_{\frac{r}{\sqrt{2}}}^r (124500\pi - y^2)dy[/tex]

doesn't look right. You may have simplified wrong; from where did you get [itex]124500\pi[/itex]?

6. Mar 20, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

… let's see …

Hi xcgirl! :smile:

Show us the integral you used, before putting any numbers in (ie just using r), so we can see what is going wrong. :smile:

7. Mar 18, 2010 #6
    [​IMG]
    This is the integral I used and I get 1.6376*10^12 miles cubed which doesn't seem right.

8. Mar 19, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

If the earth were a cube 8000 miles on each side, its volume would be (8,000)3 mi3 = 512 x 109 mi3 = 5.12 x 1011 mi3. Being roughly spherical, the earth would fit inside such a box, so its volume would be less than this. That makes the value too big by maybe two orders of magnitude, since you're calculating the volume above 45 degrees N.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?