1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volumes of solids of revolutions

1. Jul 7, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In the question your working with the region bounded by the two curves y=x^2 and y=x^3.

In the first part of the question you had to revolve the region around the x-axis and find the area which I managed to do by subtracting two areas from each other.

The second part of the question asked to revolve the region around the y-axis which I didn't know how to do since I couldn't find (x^3)dy

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2011 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Revolving around the y-axis would give:

V= π∫ x2 dy

so if y=x3, then x = y 1/3 and hence x2 = y2/3

4. Jul 7, 2011 #3
    That's what I tried before but kept getting the answer wrong. I think my text book is wrong, did you get 1/10pi u^3?

5. Jul 7, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using the washer method, the volume would be: V = π ((x2)2- (x1)2)dy,

where x2=y(1/3) and x1 = y(1/2).

6. Jul 7, 2011 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I do

It will end up as the same since OP will have to subtract one from the other while that way will make into one simple integral.

7. Jul 7, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When OP mentioned "subtracting two areas from each other", I thought he literally meant areas, not volumes. Oh well !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook