Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

VOTE PF PHOTO CONTEST - Out the window

Vote (multiple choice)

Poll closed Jul 11, 2009.
  1. Chroot

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Turbo-1

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Junglebeast

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Wildman

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ZapperZ

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Borek

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  7. Matthyaouw

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
  8. Marzena

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  9. Andre

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  10. Fuzzyfelt

6 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jul 4, 2009 #1

matthyaouw

Gold Member

1.Chroot
    DSCR-1270.jpg

2.Turbo-1
    con_hummer.jpg

3.Junglebeast
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9836/lifewasgood.jpg [Broken]

4.Wildman
    3674109220_6a31053d9f.jpg

5.ZapperZ
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9955/img5958l.jpg [Broken]

6.Borek
    marcin_outthewindow.jpg

7.Matthyaouw
    outthewindow.jpg

8.Marzena
    marzena_outthewindow.jpg

9.Andre
    20z8ot1.jpg

10.Fuzzyfelt
    http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/742/p2100055.jpg [Broken]

Contest Thread

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2009 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I voted for Chroot. Wonderful composition and colours.

4. Jul 4, 2009 #3
    I really liked Borek's literal interpretation of the topic at hand. There's no mistaking where the window is and the "through" part made me smile. Plus, the composition is good.

5. Jul 4, 2009 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I really like Borek's interpretation as well. Though, I'm VERY envious of some of the views others enjoy through their windows!

6. Jul 4, 2009 #5
    I really enjoyed these photos, I'd love to be sitting where Fuzzyfelt was.

7. Jul 5, 2009 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes. I just can't see any window on the picture.

Don't get me wrong - Chroot wrote that he took it through the window and I trust he did. But I don't see it.

8. Jul 5, 2009 #7
    Well I see almost a dozen windows in that picture. :smile: :tongue:

9. Jul 6, 2009 #8

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Borek, you're a fantastic photographer! And, of course, you know perspective distortion when you see it.

The cafe had a little outdoor seating area partially enclosed with fabric since it was very windy that day. The fabric had "windows" in it, and I stuck my arm through one and took this picture of a bicycle parked beside the cafe.

I didn't think anyone was going to submit any photos actually showing windows! I figured it would all be photos out of car or airplane windows, which often look pretty much the same. I was trying to follow the invitation to "interpret as you will" and distinguish myself by simply posting a photo taken THOUGH a window, i.e., hanging out of it.

Also, after posting my entry, I realized I had a dozen other pictures that would have been more topical... I need to think more before posting.

Your photo really does capture the subject very well. :smile:

- Warren

10. Jul 6, 2009 #9

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I am not. I am shooting left and right so now and then I take something worth showing. But thank you :wink:

Neither did I. Sorry if I sounded like that - what I meant was not "no windows on the picture" but "no window idea on the picture". And - as it was "interpret as you will" - it was obvious that such pictures will be between those submitted. To you the connection was obvious - because you know how the picture was taken. I wasn't there - and it is not on the picture :wink:

In general I have a feeling that quite often during voting we vote for the best picture - but not necesarilly for the picture that fits the theme best.

Oh, and having a cute kid on the picture helps too :devil:

11. Jul 6, 2009 #10
    And apparently the pictures with the most bright commercial colors are considered the best. :frown:

12. Jul 6, 2009 #11
    Although I love Matthyaouw's yellow streak and Turbo's is reminiscent of some small sparrows I saw hopping on the window ledge while I was recopying some solutions at a coffee shop just yesterday, Borek's interpretation made me laugh out loud.

With the upcoming baby, I'm getting ready to dump some money into a new digicam... so maybe I'll have some photos soon!

13. Jul 6, 2009 #12
    Good luck and all the best,

May this help to select the most "bang for the buck":

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

Especially the links with "group tests" for direct comparisons.

Also, for instance these look cool for nice baby portraits.

14. Jul 6, 2009 #13

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

Thanks Hypatia!

I had said I liked Matthyaouw’s and Marzena’s, and will give a rough and unintelligible critique.

Both start with traditional landscape subjects. Then Mattyaouw, using speed, and Marzena using glass, give these new perspectives (one with movement and one reflected and up-side down), yet both new perspectives are entirely commonplace and understandable (possibly over time or with Borek’s help).

The movement and particular selection of colours and subject gives Matthyaouw's work the tonal blend of smooth spray paint, although the sky and distance retains some feeling of tradition, and that is a really interesting effect in itself. Here, the traditional and the new combine seemlessly. Glass in Marzena’s photo gives her piece lustre, not unlike an updated version of lustrous oils, and again, these contradictions of traditional subject with contemporary perspective and media combine smoothly.

That these complex combinations both take the form of mainly flat, seemingly simple bands of line and colour, with balanced direction, rhythm and repetition of striking similarity, and that they coincidentally fell beside each other, unifying and emphasising these same strengths, is amazingly appealing to me. There are other reasons I like these photos, but have already been carried away! That different people appreciate different things is our nature.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  15. Jul 6, 2009 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What are "bright commercial colors?"

- Warren

16. Jul 6, 2009 #15

turbo

Gold Member

The colors on my hummingbird, of course. With his signing bonus, he'll be sitting pretty, thus the "commercial". As his agent, I'll pull in a modest 99% of his contract price - he can't lug much cash.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook