WAIT I'm not through whining :-(

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around Evo's computer crashing and losing important data. Suggestions are made for data recovery and backup methods. There are also discussions about Norton software causing issues and suggestions for fixing it. The conversation ends with Evo being sick on his birthday and having to cancel plans with a friend.
rewebster said:
so...---it's a 'I just need time to do it' thing...
If I wait long enough, someone will have a fix.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo, get the free Ewido download and the free Avast download. Those people are very serious about protecting your system. Norton? Not so much.

I must say that because of my trouble, Symantec gave me their professional installation package that normally sells for over $100 (on sale for $50 with upgrade) for free. The guy installed everything, cleaned up a lot of junk files and configured my firewall. It was awesome.

Evo said:
If I wait long enough, someone will have a fix.

I'm getting the 'feeling' that you may have forgotten the name of the virus:uhh:---

you may want to download AVG---it's free and it may clean you up -or one of those free ones that turbo recommends

rewebster said:
I'm getting the 'feeling' that you may have forgotten the name of the virus:uhh:---

you may want to download AVG---it's free and it may clean you up -or one of those free ones that turbo recommends
It's not a virus, and yes I have the name.

Evo said:
I must say that because of my trouble, Symantec gave me their professional installation package that normally sells for over $100 (on sale for $50 with upgrade) for free. The guy installed everything, cleaned up a lot of junk files and configured my firewall. It was awesome.

this is on your daughter's computer, though--isn't it? (or, is it 'yours' now?)

Evo said:
It's not a virus, and yes I have the name.

<rewebster again tries to pull the name out>

is the name of the 'trojan' something you don't want to tell us?

We've had great experience with Bitdefender.

rewebster said:
this is on your daughter's computer, though--isn't it? (or, is it 'yours' now?)
It's mine as soon as I buy her a new laptop.

rewebster said:
<rewebster again tries to pull the name out>

is the name of the 'trojan' something you don't want to tell us?
I don't want to invoke it's name.

Evo said:
I don't want to invoke it's name.

it's ok---those sites can be 'accidently' opened ---you just have to go in 'protected'

rewebster said:
it's ok---those sites can be 'accidently' opened ---you just have to go in 'protected'

Aren't the trojans what you're supposed to use for protection in those sites? :uhh: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Aren't the trojans what you're supposed to use for protection in those sites? :uhh: :biggrin:

And there was me thinking that MB's absence from chat would result in a week free of gutter jokes o:)

Well hell, you never mentioned it being hit by lightning!

binzing said:
Well hell, you never mentioned it being hit by lightning!
That was before your time.

I lost a couple hard drives--different reasons (I dropped one)---what I did finally for the desktop was to install a second hard drive ($20 shipped), and use two different backup programs to point to that 2nd drive. I realized that over 90-95% of the 'stuff' on 'C' was easily re-installable and/or downloadable, so I only backup the things that can't be reloaded, i.e., emails, photos, documents, etc. and the 'start menu' list to know what programs I did have installed---and I found neat and free little backup program (older now and not updated--I tried about 10 different ones)--but it works like a charm for doing those exact tasks and areas automatically each day. It allows you to go into windows explorer and pick folders (and the sub-folders and files), it compares what's in the backup and only copies those that have changed--or you can do your whole drive if you want to. I know a lot of backup programs do that, but this one doesn't compress the files; and since the backup is uncompressed I don't even need a program to bring the items back if the 'C' drive does fail.--anyway, the backup program is called EZback-it-up ( http://www.rdcomp.net/ezbackitup/ ) if anyone wants to look at it. I got it running on a schedule everyday.

A fella goes to France for a few days and everything just goes to pot. Evo, you're aware that I had a comparable experience a few months ago. I'm a bit alarmed that you seem to be the recipient of similar divine generosity. That's it! I promise not to visit those sites again.
Not only was I away from my computer for a few days, but I managed to forget my cell phones (easily done; they were being "charged" in a discrete location underneath the table). I gave a friend a loan of my "Tomtom" and forgot to get it back so I was back to using good old maps and the navigational brain of a confused Englishman permanently stuck in teenage mode and suffering football withdrawal.
Glad it all seems to have worked out. Drop by for a soupcon of champers when you're in the vicinity. We'll celebrate

I'm cursed. I'm absolutely sure of it.

I think I have a recluse spider bite on the back of my leg. Or some similarly venomous insect/archnid bite. It's developed a small ulcerated spot, hard, surrounded by red and hot to the touch. Very painful. Kept me up last night. I have a bag of ice strapped to my leg, left over from my last trip to the ER.

I've read up on recluse bites, based on the reaction at the bite site, it should heal up on it's own within 6 weeks.

I hope whatever bit me is dead.

Oh, of course "warning: do not apply steroid cream". Of course, now that I have applied a steroid cream to stop the itching and pain.

It doesn't say why you should not apply steroid cream. Anyone know? Am I going to die now?

Evo, please - have a medical person take a look at it.

Is it just my faulty memory, or so these things always seem to happen to you on weekends...?

lisab said:
Evo, please - have a medical person take a look at it.

Is it just my faulty memory, or so these things always seem to happen to you on weekends...?
I have more pharmaceuticals than the ER.

Oh, lucky me, it wasn't just any corticosteroid cream, it's a "super-high potency corticosteroid". I have only the best. :grumpy:

It actually doesn't sound that bad if it was a recluse bite. It's been over 24 hours, so it sounds like it will heal on it's own. If the pain and burning doesn't stop by tomorrow, I'll have a doctor look at it, but I don't have much faith in the doctors around here.

survival past 48 hours is usually a sign that recovery will follow
Cheery.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002859.htm#Symptoms

And yes, I have all of the symptoms mentioned.

lol I love the advice. Wait to see until your dead. If you're not within 48 hours then you'll probably be ok.

IF (big if) it is a recluse spider bite, then it will take a long time to heal. You REALLY, REALLY do not want a recluse bite.

It could also be a boil, or some sort of "point" infection. Recluse bites are more exotic sounding, so maybe it's more entertaining when you are inflicted with boils and sores to get a diagnosis of 'evil spider bite'

If it keeps you awake get medical help.

Evo said:
I think I have a recluse spider bite on the back of my leg. Or some similarly venomous insect/archnid bite. It's developed a small ulcerated spot, hard, surrounded by red and hot to the touch. Very painful. Kept me up last night. I have a bag of ice strapped to my leg, left over from my last trip to the ER.

I've read up on recluse bites, based on the reaction at the bite site, it should heal up on it's own within 6 weeks.
Umm - a brown recluse bite is pretty serious. Most literature indicates medical attention is required ASAP. If one has all the symptoms mentioned, then one should see a doctor immediately.

Brown recluse spider bites to the head: three cases and a review.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Brown...he+head:+three+cases+and+a+review-a0124261634
The bite of the brown recluse spider causes the most severe form of arthropod-induced tissue necrosis. Its venom is made up of nine different proteins. (5) The primary factor responsible for tissue necrosis is sphingomyelinase. (6) This enzyme interacts with the membranes of erythrocytes, platelets, and endothelial cells. (7) Although sphingomyelinase D is toxic to many types of cell, significant tissue damage requires the participation of the host's own cells, particularly neutrophils and platelets. (8) Following envenomation, the initial injury is endothelial damage to the arterioles Arterioles, and these vessels become occluded with thrombi. made up of neutrophils and platelets. The neutrophils then degranulate and secrete prostaglandin metabolites that contribute to more endothelial damage, which leads to thrombosis, ischemia, and necrosis.

Brown Recluse Spider Bites: A Complex Problem Wound. A Brief Review and Case Study
http://www.o-wm.com/article/3823

Management of Brown Recluse Spider Bites in Primary Care
http://www.jabfm.org/cgi/reprint/17/5/347.pdf

A friend's mother was bitten on the ankle and it developed into a nasty would that never properly healed, even after skin grafts. The tissue necrosis was significant.

The bite (or festering boil, thanks Jim :grumpy:) is very bad.

Since we have recluse spiders here, it seems the obvious culprit, the ulcer formed very quickly and is surrounded by a red patch. It's oozing, so I am keping it cleaned and aplying neosporin.

I had no idea what it was at first, but we have the damn spiders and this fits.

I am going to need to get to a doctor. Right now I am tempted to take a sharp object and root around because it REALLY HURTS.

I always thought that a recluse bite horrendous tissue damage, but I guess they can range in severity. The spot is very hot to the touch.

The spot is right in the middle of my calf. It's a very dry area.

From your link Astro (thanks)
Although most bites heal within 3 weeks without necrosis or scarring, approximately 20% develop necrotic ulcers that may take months to heal and often result in permanent scarring.
I believe this is a less severe bite. Also, the cleaning, drying, and neosporin seem to be keeping it under control. But did I mention how much it HURTS? :devil:

I just looked up boils. It's not a boil.

Oh good, I'm doing the right thing.

What is the treatment for a brown recluse spider bite?

Treatment consists of washing the wound and applying an antibiotic ointment.

http://www.calpoison.org/public/spiders.html#2

Last edited:

I didn't think there was much pain from a brown. I bet it's a different type of spider that bit you.

Now it's starting to look worse. Evo Child said a girl where she works got bitten by a recluse last month and they had to cut it open and drain it. Crud, I'm probably going to have to go to the urgent care place, but they are so incompetant.

IT's the subsequent necrotization and inflammation that hurts. People can be literally debilitated by the ulcerations. Secondary infections are also a problem.

Evo said:
Now it's starting to look worse. Evo Child said a girl where she works got bitten by a recluse last month and they had to cut it open and drain it. Crud, I'm probably going to have to go to the urgent care place, but they are so incompetent.
Can't you go to an actual hospital/ER? If the urgent care (clinic?) place does not have competent staff, then one should not go there.

Astronuc said:
Can't you go to an actual hospital/ER? If the urgent care (clinic?) place does not have competent staff, then one should not go there.
It's a $20 co-pay at the urgent care and $125 at the ER.

I'm reading that there is no way to diagnose a bite. I just want to make sure it's not a staph infection gone bad. I'm more worried about that then if it's a bite.

Why can't this happen during the week, it's always, as Lisab pointed out, on a weekend.

Go now Evo, Hurry, take a cab, perhaps dlgoff can help?

Evo said:
It's a $20 co-pay at the urgent care and $125 at the ER.
So you'll accept sub-standard care for the sake of $105? Misplaced priorities, Evo. Go, Please!

what's a doc going to do? say, "yep, that looks like a bite. keep a band-aid on it and come back in a week for a follow-up." ?

Proton Soup said:
what's a doc going to do? say, "yep, that looks like a bite. keep a band-aid on it and come back in a week for a follow-up." ?
That's what I'm thinking. Everything I'm reading says they can't do anything more than what I'm doing, unless it's really serious, which it's not. I'm probably just over sensitive to the pain, it's really probably no worse than a cut from a dull razor, which, by the way, I just did in the shower. Yeah, it's about the same. :grumpy:

Ok, it's a toss up, bug bite says to apply ice, not heat, a boil/staph infection says to apply heat.

I'm going to apply ice, it helped reduce the pain yesterday. A glass of wine would be nice, why is it I never have any?

Evo said:
A glass of wine would be nice, why is it I never have any?
The spider drank the wine, then attacked you in a drunken rage. Case solved.

maybe some lidocaine would help with pain. i think you can find it in sunburn remedies, still. pads made for shingles might be expensive and require Rx.

as for heat, you could maybe apply it periodically as prophylaxis for infection and follow up with ice for inflammation. i think I've only ever had one spider bite I'm aware of. it was on my toe, a bit painful, and caused a small pustule. I'm glad it happened when i wasn't looking, spiders freak me out. :(

<h2>1. Why do people whine?</h2><p>People whine as a way to express their dissatisfaction or frustration with a situation. It is a form of communication that allows them to vent their emotions and seek validation from others.</p><h2>2. How can I stop whining?</h2><p>To stop whining, try to identify the root cause of your dissatisfaction and address it directly. Also, practice gratitude and focus on the positive aspects of your life. It may also be helpful to communicate your needs and concerns in a calm and assertive manner instead of whining.</p><h2>3. Is whining a sign of immaturity?</h2><p>Whining can be a sign of immaturity, especially in children who have not yet developed effective communication skills. However, adults can also whine as a way to express their emotions, so it is not always a sign of immaturity.</p><h2>4. Can whining be harmful?</h2><p>Whining can be harmful if it becomes a habit and affects your relationships and overall well-being. It can also be detrimental to problem-solving and can prevent you from finding solutions to your concerns.</p><h2>5. How can I deal with someone who constantly whines?</h2><p>If someone in your life constantly whines, try to listen to their concerns and validate their feelings. However, also encourage them to find solutions to their problems instead of just complaining. If necessary, set boundaries and limit your exposure to their constant whining.</p>

1. Why do people whine?

People whine as a way to express their dissatisfaction or frustration with a situation. It is a form of communication that allows them to vent their emotions and seek validation from others.

2. How can I stop whining?

To stop whining, try to identify the root cause of your dissatisfaction and address it directly. Also, practice gratitude and focus on the positive aspects of your life. It may also be helpful to communicate your needs and concerns in a calm and assertive manner instead of whining.

3. Is whining a sign of immaturity?

Whining can be a sign of immaturity, especially in children who have not yet developed effective communication skills. However, adults can also whine as a way to express their emotions, so it is not always a sign of immaturity.

4. Can whining be harmful?

Whining can be harmful if it becomes a habit and affects your relationships and overall well-being. It can also be detrimental to problem-solving and can prevent you from finding solutions to your concerns.

5. How can I deal with someone who constantly whines?

If someone in your life constantly whines, try to listen to their concerns and validate their feelings. However, also encourage them to find solutions to their problems instead of just complaining. If necessary, set boundaries and limit your exposure to their constant whining.