WAIT I'm not through whining :-(

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around Evo's computer crashing and losing important data. Suggestions are made for data recovery and backup methods. There are also discussions about Norton software causing issues and suggestions for fixing it. The conversation ends with Evo being sick on his birthday and having to cancel plans with a friend.
Evo said:
I tried escape, I tried F1, I tried F10, couldn't get to safe mode on any of those.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am so freeking clever to have managed to get IE open, I'd be on the news tonight, and it wouldn't be pretty.
What Operating System does the new computer have? On some computers, one uses the Del key during startup rather than F8 start to interrupt the boot phase and enter setup. My laptop uses F2.

I think it depends on the BIOS.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hold down the Ctrl and Alt keys---hit the Del key once----Go thru the steps and that will allow you to 'end' the Norton program for that session of windows---

Norton has a boot protection part---that may be it--One thing I found about about Norton is that if you leave some programs running while Norton is being installed, 'bad' things can happen---

evo---send me your hard drive---I'll get it working for you

------

did you try mbr or fixboot?

Since you can get on the 'net', look for an online support for the 'correct'/best way to get a dos prompt and /or safe mode for that company's computer

Most of time 'bad sectors' cause the problem---if you can 'get' ie to work, you can get into the 'windows' area---do a scan disk 'thorough'--it takes about 2 hours though--it will find the 'bad sectors' and prevent those areas on the hard disk from being used.--(the 'thorough' task setting should be done every couple months on every computer)

Last edited:
evo---send me your hard drive---I'll get it working for you
And the aforementioned <cough> pictures? :smile:

jim mcnamara said:

I'll have to get permission to send copies to you

jim mcnamara said:

Was Evo the centre of respiratory disease monthly? :confused:

Kurdt said:
Was Evo the centre of respiratory disease monthly? :confused:
I'm viral. :cool:

Anyway, this "tech" at Symantec support that barely speaks English told me to shut down my computer and when the screen goes black to hit F8. I said, you mean when I restart, I should hit F8. She said , no just shut down, and when the screen goes black immediately hit F8. I asked "so you do not want me to restart?" You want me to shut down the computer then hit F8 when it shuts off? She said "yes". OMG!

Evo<----banging her head on her desk.

Evo said:
Anyway, this "tech" at Symantec support that barely speaks English told me to shut down my computer and when the screen goes black to hit F8. I said, you mean when I restart, I should hit F8. She said , no just shut down, and when the screen goes black immediately hit F8. I asked "so you do not want me to restart?" You want me to shut down the computer then hit F8 when it shuts off? She said "yes". OMG!
Um - did she say what planet she's from.

Um - don't do that. No point in adding injury here.

I think you have to be holding down the key F8, F2, del or who knows, when you turn on the computer.

Or take to a professional PC services place.

Was the other HD a mechanical failure or was it the trojan?

Another really common thing that causes problems is that the 'settings' in set-up (cmos) get altered----the time off, hd's aren't loaded, etc.---and that's really easy to fix once you get in there

-----------------------

depending on which side of the head you were abusing/banging on the desk, maybe call Norton back

Last edited:
Try to see if you could download a program and save the setup to the desktop. If you can get Easy Cleaner, and install it, then you can uninstall Norton with it.

That's the problem, the stupid Symantec page is trying to come up and it has deleted everything on the desktop including the start button and all of the apps.

Damn, my oldest best friend (as in years that I've known him) is flying here on my birthday and is a computer expert, he holds a number of patents for one of the worlds largest computer/printer companies and he could fix this I'm sure, but I look like crap becuase I've been sick and not sleeping, so my vanity will prevent me from letting him come over. I look like an unhealthy racoon.

that's the installion page that's 'trying' to load/come up for Norton---Norton isn't fully installed yet---it's a 'full screen' window that blocks what's behind it

Get the guy over Evo. People that truly like you always see you at your best.

Evo said:
I'm viral. :cool:

First you have to de-gauss your LCD. (That's what Dell's Indian service rep said, so it must be true.) Evo, you should hit F8 as soon as the computer starts booting and hold it down until you get the boot screen that let's you select your start-up mode and enter safe mode. From there, you might be able to uninstall Norton.

rewebster said:
that's the installion page that's 'trying' to load/come up for Norton---Norton isn't fully installed yet---it's a 'full screen' window that blocks what's behind it
What's weird is that I have the wallpaper, but that's it.

Evo said:
What's weird is that I have the wallpaper, but that's it.

what model make and model computer is it?

Maybe the taskbar is hidden (auto-hide option on) when not in use. Move the cursor to the top or bottom when you see the wall paper.

I'm sure your friend won't mind your appearance.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
First you have to de-gauss your LCD. (That's what Dell's Indian service rep said, so it must be true.) Evo, you should hit F8 as soon as the computer starts booting and hold it down until you get the boot screen that let's you select your start-up mode and enter safe mode. From there, you might be able to uninstall Norton.
I've done that repeatedly, the F8 key isn't working for some reason, I can't get into safe mode. It could be a keyboard issue. You'd think there would be another way to get into safe mode.

B. Elliott said:
what model make and model computer is it?
It's an HP Pavillion.

Astronuc said:
Maybe the taskbar is hidden (auto-hide option on) when not in use. Move the cursor to the top or bottom when you see the wall paper.
Tried that, nada.

It sounds like an issue with explorer.exe or the registry.

Kurdt said:
Get the guy over Evo. People that truly like you always see you at your best.
That's what he said, I don't believe it.

Evo said:
I've done that repeatedly, the F8 key isn't working for some reason, I can't get into safe mode. It could be a keyboard issue. You'd think there would be another way to get into safe mode.

It's an HP Pavillion.

Tried that, nada.
Did you try other keys - F1, F2, Del key?

Did you try moving cursor to either side in addition to top or bottom?

Evo said:

It's an HP Pavillion.

Yeah, F8 should be working... my primary laptop, which I'm on now, is a Pavillion. Keep tapping the fire out of and see what happens. It's strange that it would disable the keyboad during startup.

It's a longshot, but do you have another keyboard laying around anywhere that you could use?

Evo said:
That's what he said, I don't believe it.

Then he's a smart guy and he must be right :-p

Yet another opinion but it sounds like something is crashing explorer. It could be norton, next time you start the pc up ctrl + alt + del quickly and look at the processes. One of them could be working the CPU and memory more than the others (system idle always uses lots so leave it), close it down and see if that helps. If nothing is eating resources see if you can close the norton down and try pressing the windows key to kick start explorer. Thats what I would do.

I just bought HP support and we got into safe mode and he fixed the problem. Now I have to deal with Symantec on the upgrade I paid for.

I'm fixed! At least on the Evo Child's computer. I still need to deal with my old computer, I was going to buy a new one anyway, after being hit by lightning it never did work right.

Glad you got at least one computer fixed, Evo!

cristo said:
Glad you got at least one computer fixed, Evo!
Me too! The Evo Child saw her computer was broken and said "broke another one huh?" :redface:

Evo said:
Me too! The Evo Child saw her computer was broken and said "broke another one huh?" :redface:

Haha.. well, all fairness to her, it did only last a couple of hours :wink:

However, I can't imagine it was your fault that your old one was hit by lightning... unless you've got some magical powers! :eek:

Do you have a nylon carpet and conducting clothes?

Kurdt said:
Do you have a nylon carpet and conducting clothes?
I'm just cursed.

Evo said:
I'm fixed! At least on the Evo Child's computer. I still need to deal with my old computer, I was going to buy a new one anyway, after being hit by lightning it never did work right.

The lightning may be the problem,but...----what actually happens when you turn it on?

The old computer had a nasty trojan that wasn't detected by anything. I did find some references to it on the internet, all saying that it was new and so far only manual deletion would work, but was very difficult. Only one tech blog claimed to have a procedure to succesfully remove it. I haven't tried it yet.

which virus?----

---why don't you try the 'fix' right now (or when you're at the computer)?

you can download it to the one that's working (now)...

There is no fix, and it's not a virus, it's a complicated manual removal.

so...---it's a 'I just need time to do it' thing?...

what's the name of the virus?--they may have 'fixes' now

Back