Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WAIT I'm not through whining :-(

1. Apr 27, 2008 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

WAIT!!! I'm not through whining :-(

:cry:

My life was on that computer.

I have some stuff backed up, but not all.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2008 #2

wolram

Gold Member

Never mind Evo, i will send you a bottle of life.

4. Apr 27, 2008 #3

Evo

:rofl:

5. Apr 27, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Evo, there are hard-drive recovery experts who can resurrect your data for you. It might cost you, but it can be done. Then do what I did, and buy a duplicate HD for your PC and mirror the main drive onto the spare. To be really safe, you should buy a USB drive for your most valuable files, copy them onto that, and give the drive to one of your daughters for safe-keeping. That way, if your place burns or your PC is stolen, your data is in a safe place. My brother-in-law stores some of his files with me for that reason. I have two large fire-rated safes.

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5

Evo

I've copied a lot on CD's, and have an online backup. But there is still a lot I know I didn't backup. Yeah, I'm going to get the Nerd Herd to fix it.

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6
    MBR and fixboot has saved me a few times--but you need some sharp cheddar

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7

Astronuc

One can jump the HD to slave or cable select and use a USB caddie to read it, unless the FAT is hosed, which hopefully didn't happen. Also FileScavenger is pretty good recovery tool.

http://www.quetek.com/prod02.htm - FileScavenger.

9. Apr 27, 2008 #8

russ_watters

Just copy it from yours to hers - but make sure you know if you deleted yours!

10. Apr 27, 2008 #9
    What happened? Gah, I hate missing a few days on the damn forum...

11. Apr 27, 2008 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Then stick to this forum -- it has no metaphysical curses attached!

12. Apr 27, 2008 #11
    Ha, our science teacher refers to all the freshman Pre-AP science students (me included) as the Nerd Herd.

13. Apr 27, 2008 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, this is why I have been telling you to post all of your photos on the internet. But you would never listen to me. You just kept calling me names. Well, who's the "pervert" now Evo, huh?

14. Apr 27, 2008 #13
    I hope your hard drive didnt have a mechanical failure. Mine did. They said they had to open it up to recover the data and I would cost almost a grand (For ever 500MB!), so I was like meh oh well.

Its not going to be cheap.

15. Apr 27, 2008 #14
    Ha ha, did you drop a "meh" just because this is a tech related thread.

16. Apr 27, 2008 #15
    Meh is a tech term now?

17. Apr 27, 2008 #16
    Well, net related I always thought...

18. Apr 27, 2008 #17
    Its just the sound people make when they shrug their shoulders because they dont care, mehhhhhhhhhh (shrug).

19. Apr 27, 2008 #18

Evo

I know, all my <cough> pictures. :frown: Can you tell the Nerds not to look at the pictures when they restore the files? I mean, that is, if I had any such pictures, which <cough> of course I don't.

Ok, and now I have The Evo Child's computer and her Norton had just expired so I renewed it. It killed my computer. It boots, the icons are on the desktop for a fraction of a second, just long enough for me to hit the IE icon before they vanish, then the destop is completely blank, not even a start button, no tool bar at the bottom, nada, zip, zilch, squat.

I have been on the phone with Norton for an hour and now they just told me that they have no idea how to fix it. They told me to call Microsoft. Well, Microsoft is going to tell me that Norton's software is hosed up and there's nothing that they can do.

I AM CURSED!!!

I have a headache.

I NEED SOME LOVE PEOPLE!!!!

20. Apr 27, 2008 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should be able to start up in safe mode to get rid of Norton. But you'll have to ask one of the nerds or geeks how to do that because I can't remember which button you press while it's starting.

21. Apr 27, 2008 #20

Evo

I can't get into safe mode, but it might be that my F8 key isn't working.

I guess I am just going to call the Nerd Herd tomorrow. :frown:

Uh, more to whine about. A good friend is flying here on my birthday. It's work related. But I'm too sick and exhausted to go out with him. I offered him the Evo Child to go as my proxy. I am NOT letting anyone see me looking like a sickly racoon.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?