Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wald General Relativity: On the homogenous cosmology, Page 178

1. Aug 27, 2013 #1
    Hi, everybody. I have some problem with Wald's statement shown in the picture. This is from the last paragraph in Page 178.

He claimed that there are only solutions with two of the [itex]p_{\alpha}[/itex] positive and one negative. But it's easy to find out that if two of the [itex]p_{\alpha}[/itex] are negative while the third positive, there is no contradiction.

Can you guys help me with this? Why should all the solutions have two positive [itex]p_{\alpha}[/itex] and one negative? Thank you:smile:

(The picture is from http://books.google.com/books?id=9S...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Well using (7.2.58) and (7.2.60) we have ##p_2^2 + p_1^2 - p_1 - p_2 + p_1p_2 = 0##. Now if ##p_3 < 0## then ##p_2 > 1 - p_1##. Plot these two and you will find that both ##p_1,p_2 > 0##. If ##p_3 >0## then ##1 - p_1> p_2##; plotting these two again you will find that ##p_1 > 0,p_2 < 0## or vice-versa. Finally if ##p_3 = 0## then either ##p_1 = 1## and ##p_2 = 0## or vice-versa which are just the trivial solutions.

4. Aug 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks! Never thought of this. Great!

5. Aug 29, 2013 #4

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

No problem! Make sure you do the problems at the end of that chapter; some of them are really fun (problems 7.1,7.4, and 7.5 in particular).

6. Aug 29, 2013 #5
    Sure. I'll try to solve all of them before the end of the next week.

7. Aug 29, 2013 #6

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

Awesome, have fun with that!

8. Oct 2, 2013 #7
    Hi WannabeNewton, I know it's been late, but I haven't been able to figure out how to solve the problem 7.4. Can you help me out? Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook