Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Walking dead

1. Dec 29, 2007 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Reading some trivia trash us humans are carrying our own death with us, unless we die through accident, we also live in a bug infested environment, we all swallow several spiders,
    sleep with bugs and eat bugs, makes joyful reading not, oh and it is no good having a bath
    we can not drown the little buggers.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2007 #2
    On average, eight spiders a year can get stuck in a person's throat while sleeping.

4. Dec 29, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<pokerface>

The underside of the human epiglottis having just the right levels of pH, temperature and ventilation for the incubation of spiders' eggs, somewhere between 27 and 32 female spiders will annually make the excursion through your mouth, push past the epiglottis and lay their eggs on the other side of the door, before returning to their web for a meal of flies in a broth of saliva.

Some won't leave until after the baby shower.

<pokerface>

5. Dec 29, 2007 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Dec 30, 2007 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Im sleeping with the covers over my head from now on.

7. Dec 30, 2007 #6

Mk

Yeah. Uh huh. And on average, at least eight things happen to me per year that are unrecorded that I don't know about.

8. Dec 30, 2007 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

<pokerface>

Second only to the human epiglottis, in terms of suitability for incubation, is the underside of bedcovers and blankets...

<pokerface>

9. Dec 30, 2007 #8
    Howard Hughes--here we come

10. Dec 30, 2007 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Drat, i have loads of spiders in my place, it is no wonder i have a tickly cough in the mornings.

11. Jan 1, 2008 #10
    I think the eating spiders while asleep thing is a myth....check snopes

12. Jan 1, 2008 #11
    I don't know about eating spiders but being bitten by spiders in bed is apparently a serious problem here in Arizona. My wife says that there are A LOT of hospital stays that are caused by spider bites. A lot more than snakes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?