Want a Career in Science, but what?

In summary, Dave found that by taking a variety of science courses, he was able to figure out what he was passionate about and which subjects were not his thing. He recommends doing the same so that you can figure out what you are best suited for.
Age101
Hi
I am new to this site and have been scanning through the many wonderful post and it has got me thinking. There are so many career options in science now but which one will be suited to me best?
I enjoy many things I love astronomy but I also like the sound of chemistry and I also love physics. I just want to know what career options I have that are in those guide lines.
I am in Year 7 and love to plan ahead that is why I am asking these questions. Also what subject should I be taking to help me when I get to college and is there anything that I should be trying to achieve now (except good grades).
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
At your age you should be soaking up everything you can and exploring. As far as trying to achieve, I would say to develop and maintain your curiosity, keep your grades up, and make sure to get involved in as wide a range of activities as you can, such as sports, music, drama, reading, writing, whatever interests you, really. Don't be afraid to try new things.

When I was your age I didn't even know the field I'm in existed. It could be the same for you. Just try to have fun and be as well-rounded as you can.

Yes, just keep taking everything you can. Math, sciences, physics, and even more math. There's a lot of overlap in all these disciplines. physics+chemistry = physical chemistry. Astronomy+physics=cosmology. (that's a of a crude characterization but sort of true).

Chemistry can be important in astronomy, since you'll want to know what all the "stuff" is made of and how it was made. And of course underneath all of this is mathematics, for its' own sake and for the thinking skills you get from studying it.

Unless you've been head over heals for some very specific topic for a long time, or some question has fascinated you, (like, ever since you were a kid you wanted to know about earth-like planets, or you wanted to solve the goldbach conjecture) then it's best to get exposed to as much as possible now. Even if you did know exactly what you wanted to study, knowledge of all these areas would be helpful. So don't limit yourself. Not yet.

-Dave K

I found great enjoyment in taking all the science courses. I knew I wanted to study physics from a very young age (Blame Jadzia Dax, 7 of 9 and Samantha Carter). However, I just got excited about science in general and went through great lengths to take anything and everything.

I took Environmental Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Anatomy and Physiology, Astronomy, and Agricultural Science (I was in a rural school) as well as a class titled "Fundamentals of Engineering" which was trig based physics applied to fun projects like building bridges, working with electricity, etc.

I also loved to learn Math. If academics is a plate, and science is the main course, then math can only be described as the vegetables. You must learn to love them. They're good for you.

Also, in taking so many different courses, I was able to discern just what things I was passionate about. And what was boring! (Cell biology...ick!)

Cheers!

I understand your curiosity and eagerness to explore different career options in science. It's great that you are already thinking about your future and seeking guidance at such a young age.

Firstly, it's important to remember that there are many career paths within each field of science, so you don't necessarily have to limit yourself to just one area. For example, if you enjoy astronomy, you could pursue a career as an astronomer, astrophysicist, or even work in the aerospace or defense industry.

Similarly, if you are interested in chemistry, there are various career options such as becoming a chemist, chemical engineer, or working in pharmaceuticals or environmental science. For physics, you could become a physicist, engineer, or work in fields such as renewable energy or nanotechnology.

To help you narrow down your options, I suggest exploring each field through internships, job shadowing, or speaking with professionals in those areas. This will give you a better understanding of what each career entails and which one aligns with your interests and strengths.

In terms of subjects to focus on in high school, mathematics and science courses such as physics, chemistry, and biology will be beneficial for your future studies in college. It's also important to develop strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as these are essential in any scientific career.

Additionally, you can start building a strong foundation for your future career by participating in science fairs, research projects, or joining science-related clubs or organizations.

Remember, it's okay if you are still unsure about your exact career path at this stage. Continue exploring your interests and gaining knowledge and experience in different areas of science. With dedication, hard work, and a passion for learning, you will find the right career path for you. Best of luck!

1. How do I know if a career in science is right for me?

A career in science may be a good fit for you if you have a passion for learning about the natural world and a curiosity about how things work. It also requires critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a strong work ethic. You can also shadow or talk to professionals in the field to get a better understanding of what a career in science entails.

2. What kind of education is needed for a career in science?

Most careers in science require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant field, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Some positions may require a master's degree or a Ph.D. for more advanced research and teaching roles. It's important to research the specific education requirements for the career you are interested in pursuing.

3. What types of jobs are available in the field of science?

There are a wide variety of jobs available in the field of science, including research scientists, lab technicians, data analysts, science writers, and science educators. These roles can be found in various industries, including healthcare, pharmaceuticals, government agencies, and academic institutions.

4. What skills are important for a successful career in science?

In addition to a strong foundation in scientific knowledge, successful scientists also possess skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and effective communication. They also have a willingness to learn and adapt to new technologies, as well as the ability to work well in a team and independently.

5. How can I gain experience in the field of science?

There are many ways to gain experience in the field of science, including internships, research opportunities, volunteer work, and attending conferences and workshops. It's also important to continually educate yourself and stay current with advancements and developments in your area of interest. Networking with professionals in the field can also provide valuable opportunities for experience and growth.