1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to Calculate Volume, Given Time, Temperature & Energy

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I want to calculate volume of a tank ,

1. Tank contains water and it leaves tank at 7 degree celcius and comes back at 11 degree celcius. So ∇T= 4°C.
    2. Time required to complately empty 20 Minutes
    3. Energy absorbed in raise from 7ºC to 11ºC = 25 KW
    I need to calculate the volume of the Tank which contains water! how much water i need.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which volume? At 7 C, or at 11 C?

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    At temperature difference 4 degree Celsius!

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Start by calculating how many kg of water are involved. Try wikipedia to refresh your memory of what is meant by the Specific Heat of a substance.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This doesn't make sense. The water is never at this temperature; it's just a difference in temperatures, not an actual temperature.

To see this clearly, ask yourself what temperature you would be interested in if we were using Kelvin instead of Celsius: the water is changing temperature from 280 K to 284 K. Would you still want its volume at 4 K?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Energy is measured in kJ. Power is measured in kW. So you need to make a correction to your statement in 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook