Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Want to Calculate Volume, Given Time, Temperature & Energy

1. Jul 22, 2015 #1
    Hi,
    I want to calculate volume of a tank ,

1. Tank contains water and it leaves tank at 7 degree celcius and comes back at 11 degree celcius. So ∇T= 4°C.
    2. Time required to complately empty 20 Minutes
    3. Energy absorbed in raise from 7ºC to 11ºC = 25 KW
    I need to calculate the volume of the Tank which contains water! how much water i need.

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Which volume? At 7 C, or at 11 C?

4. Jul 22, 2015 #3
    At temperature difference 4 degree Celsius!

5. Jul 22, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Start by calculating how many kg of water are involved. Try wikipedia to refresh your memory of what is meant by the Specific Heat of a substance.

6. Jul 22, 2015 #5

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This doesn't make sense. The water is never at this temperature; it's just a difference in temperatures, not an actual temperature.

To see this clearly, ask yourself what temperature you would be interested in if we were using Kelvin instead of Celsius: the water is changing temperature from 280 K to 284 K. Would you still want its volume at 4 K?

7. Jul 22, 2015 #6

NascentOxygen

Energy is measured in kJ. Power is measured in kW. So you need to make a correction to your statement in 3.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook