Want to set up a constant magnetic field to do experiments under

In summary: The magnetic field will need to be constantly refreshed, with a 12V power supplyIn summary, Evan wants to create a coil magnet to cure concrete with a low-strength magnetic field. He needs to know what induction is needed and how to build the coil, and he is also concerned about the current load on the power supply.
lostminty
Hiya,

So I want to do some experiments with concrete curing under a magnetic field.

The samples would need to be approximately a 2" diameter tube maybe 8" long.

I'm not that aware of how a magnetic field would behave any more, been awhile since I did any physics outside of classical mechanics.

any way..

was thinking I could essentially make a coil magnet like this:

coil1.gif

having the concrete setting within the coil?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's what I'd try ... you'd basically be wrapping wire around whatever the concrete is sitting in and hooking it to a power source.

Evan, fairly low strength fields can be developed with a Helmholtz coil. You can find details under Wikipedia.

Helmholtz, sure... BUT what induction is needed? With an air coil and a pair of watt you get 1mT. For 1T (provided 1T has any effect on concrete...) it needs other means, especially an iron core and the proper design around it, and for >2T you've lost because the iron core doesn't help.

The concrete will be made with iron sand. Maybe that will provide something analogous to an iron core.
I was thinking of using a computer power supply, on the 12V rail.

Bit confused as what to do about the amp load. The power supply has maybe 15A? on that rail.

I have some 0.63mm enamel coated copper wire, not sure how much of it I have..rough calculation of two 8m lengths. This will provide about 0.8 ohms of resistance.

If I were to hook that straight up, that's 15A right there, pushing it really.

Would I add a resistor to that to cut down the current?

How long do you need to hold the field?
The design of electromagnet is mostly about how much current you can pass through the wires without melting them down.

Again, what induction? Most electromagnetic designs are impossible, yours seem to belong to this category.

I..don't really understand.

I want the titanomagnetite particles to align to the field...hopefully creating directional microstructure

It wouldn't need to be too long, will have to do some viscosity calculations to see how long it will take

What is a constant magnetic field?

A constant magnetic field is a magnetic field that has a steady and unchanging strength and direction over time. This means that the magnitude and direction of the magnetic field at any given point within the field will remain the same.

Why would someone want to set up a constant magnetic field?

A constant magnetic field is often used in scientific experiments to study the effects of magnetic fields on various materials or systems. It can also be used to control the motion of charged particles or to calibrate instruments that measure magnetic fields.

How can a constant magnetic field be created?

A constant magnetic field can be created by using permanent magnets, electromagnets, or a combination of both. The strength and direction of the field can be adjusted by changing the distance between the magnets, the current in the electromagnet, or the orientation of the magnets.

What factors can affect the stability of a constant magnetic field?

The stability of a constant magnetic field can be affected by external factors such as temperature, vibrations, and electromagnetic interference. Additionally, the quality and alignment of the magnets or electromagnets used can also impact the stability of the field.

Are there any safety considerations when working with a constant magnetic field?

Yes, there are several safety considerations when working with a constant magnetic field. Strong magnetic fields can affect electronic devices, so it is important to keep them away from the experimental setup. Additionally, anyone with medical implants, such as pacemakers, should not be near the magnetic field. Proper precautions should also be taken to avoid any accidents or injuries due to the strong magnetic forces.