Was my professor right to count me off?

In summary, the student made a mistake in their arithmetic while finding the derivative of a function using the limit approach. They were counted off for dividing by h instead of factoring and then dividing, which the teacher deemed to be the correct way to solve the problem. The student questioned this and the teacher explained that it was "algebra" and did not need to be shown. The student is unsure if this level of detail is required in their calculus course and is seeking advice on how to handle the situation with their professor.
Wishingwell

Homework Statement

I recently was counted off during a math quiz stating that I made a mistake in my arithmetic regarding the derivative of a function using the limit approach. (The long way with the lim h->0)

The equation was f(x) = -16x^2 + 20x and I was suppose to find f'(x) using the limit approach

Homework Equations

I am very sure I did everything right since my final answer was -32x + 20 but during my work there was one step he counted me off 1 letter grade for.

Doing the work you get down to a step that looks like this:

(-32xh - 16h^2 + 20h)/h

At this point I divided each term by h to get -32x -16h + 20 where I plugged in 0 for h.

However this was incorrect, it was apparently algebraically wrong as I was suppose to factor out an h from each term and then divide by h. I have always been taught to divide by h and assumed this was is an acceptable way to do it.

Was it any wrong to lose credit for dividing by h instead of factoring and then dividing? If not, can anyone explain and I can maybe send this to my professor to get some credit back.

The Attempt at a Solution

See above

Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly couldn't imagine anyone taking off points for that, unless you were told specifically to include that step (in which case I don't think you'd have much of an argument).

I encourage students to factor and then cancel because so many write something like [tex]\frac{xh + 6}{3h} = \frac{x+6}{3}[/tex]. So I tell them that unless you can factor it out of every term, you can't cancel it. However, I wouldn't expect them to write that step if they were mathematically mature enough to see it themselves. The same way I wouldn't expect someone to say [tex]\frac{12}{20} = \frac{3*4}{4*5} = \frac{3}{5}[/tex] after they got out of elementary school.

I would definitely ask about it. However if you're asked to show working, I suppose your teacher is able to decide how much work he wants to see.

mathie.girl said:
I honestly couldn't imagine anyone taking off points for that, unless you were told specifically to include that step (in which case I don't think you'd have much of an argument).

He explained that it was "algebra" and didn't need to be explained since we were suppose to know that factoring was the correct way to do it.

Wishingwell said:
He explained that it was "algebra" and didn't need to be explained since we were suppose to know that factoring was the correct way to do it.

Factoring was a correct way to do it (though that doesn't imply to me that it needs to be shown, especially in a calculus course). Alternatively, you could have just as easily have done:

[tex]
\frac{-32xh - 16h^2 + 20h}{h} = \frac{-32xh}{h} - \frac{16h^2}{h} + \frac{20h}{h} = -32x - 16h + 20
[/tex]

Which would pretty much just be splitting up and cancelling (and possibly more similar in idea to what you did).

Does he require you to show steps like this, which should also be required if you were to show all algebraic steps?

[tex]
5x + 16y - 2x = 5x -2x + 16y = 3x + 16y
[/tex]

I can tell you that to me it seems like a surprising level of detail to require of a calculus student and certainly not something I'd take points off for, however it could be construed as a missing step. So honestly I'm not sure what to tell you about how to handle your prof. Good luck getting it straightened out!

1. Was my professor justified in counting me off for a mistake on my assignment?

It depends on the nature of the mistake and the professor's grading criteria. It is important to carefully review the assignment instructions and any feedback given by the professor to understand their reasoning.

2. Can I contest my professor's decision to count me off?

Yes, you can respectfully approach your professor for clarification or request a review of your grade. It is important to provide evidence to support your argument and to have a calm and open-minded discussion with your professor.

3. What if I believe my professor made a mistake in counting me off?

You can respectfully bring this to your professor's attention and provide evidence to support your claim. If the mistake is confirmed, your professor may adjust your grade accordingly.

4. How can I avoid being counted off by my professor in the future?

It is important to carefully read and follow the assignment instructions, ask for clarification if needed, and proofread your work before submitting it. Additionally, actively participating in class and seeking feedback from your professor can help improve your understanding and performance.

5. Will being counted off by my professor affect my overall grade in the course?

It depends on the weight of the assignment in the overall course grade. If the assignment is a small portion of your grade, it may not have a significant impact. However, it is important to strive for your best performance on all assignments to maintain a strong overall grade in the course.