Trigonometric substitution, What am i doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's attempt to solve a problem involving simplifying a radical expression. They initially divide both terms under the radical by 4 and split 1/4 into (1/2)2, but later realize that they were supposed to factor out the 4 instead. The student had been doing it differently than the book's answer and is seeking clarification on what they did wrong. The expert summarizer points out that in the first step, the student factored out the 4 which becomes 2 outside the radical, but then the factor of 2 was lost in the second integral. Therefore, the student's answer is only half of the correct answer.
AMan24

Homework Statement

qH4VZgg.jpg

Homework Equations

0L8mBp5.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my answer, i get 1/24

For my first step i divided both terms under the radical by 4, then split 1/4 into (1/2)2, i saw something very similar in my book so i did the same thing, but i just realized this has to be wrong. Whatever was in my book looked like this, but i guess there must be more to it

I finally figured it out, was supposed to factor out the 4, not divide by it

qPJmbw2.jpg

Here is the books answer, it's 1/12
5pTqRAK.jpg

I realize I am doing it differently than the books, but i just don't understand why my way is wrong. I've done it 3 times, very slowly and carefully. So there must be something I am not aware of. Please help me!

Attachments

• IMG_2969.jpg
    IMG_2969.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your very first step you factored out the 4 in the radical, which becomes 2 outside the radical which... disappears.
You lost that factor of 2. Your second integral is 1/2 the original so your answer is 1/2 the correct answer.

Likes AMan24

1. What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a method used in calculus to simplify integrals involving certain types of functions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral, making it easier to solve.

2. When should I use trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is typically used when the integral involves expressions with square roots, or when the integrand includes terms like x2 + a2 or x2 - a2 where a is a constant.

3. How do I choose which trigonometric function to use?

The choice of trigonometric function depends on the expression within the integral. For example, if the integral contains an expression of the form x2 + a2, you would use the substitution x = a tanθ. If it contains an expression of the form x2 - a2, you would use x = a secθ.

4. What are the steps for using trigonometric substitution?

The steps for using trigonometric substitution are as follows:

1. Identify the appropriate trigonometric substitution based on the expression in the integral.
  2. Make the substitution and express the integral in terms of θ.
  3. Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
  4. Integrate the simplified expression with respect to θ.
  5. Substitute back in the original variable to get the final solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution include:

• Forgetting to substitute back in the original variable at the end.
  • Using the wrong trigonometric function for the given expression.
  • Not simplifying the integral using trigonometric identities.
  • Forgetting to include the differential in the integration step.