Watching DVD on windows 7 using VLC media player

In summary, the user is trying to watch a DVD using VLC media player, but is getting the following message: "VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details." The user is directed to a forum post for help, but does not know how to check the log or which option in the VLC media player to select.
gracy
I am trying to watch a dvd using VLC media player. I selected option " open disc" and then clicked on play but it gives the following message

"VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///D:/'. Check the log for details."

Please tell me what to do. I searched on google and got few results

http://www.sevenforums.com/music-pictures-video/315818-vlc-doesnt-play-dvds-now.htmlBut could not understand anything.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
i think one of the following suggestion in the forum should work fine.. which is to open the dvd folder first then use VLC to play the video in that folder

gracy said:
Check the log for details
What did the log say?

gracy said:
Check the log for details
I don't know how to check the log.

WIN said:
i think one of the following suggestion in the forum should work fine.. which is to open the dvd folder first then use VLC to play the video in that folder
I clicked on computer. Then selected DVD RW Drive (D:)OFD DVD5 . Then it showed "Files currently on the Disc" (7) I clicked on one of those. Then it showed Files currently on the Disc" (4) I selected one of those as soon as I clicked on one of those 4 files I was directed to VLC media player .It looked like as follows

http://postimg.org/image/c7qbuje5r/

Then I clicked on "Media" after clicking on "Media" It showed many options "Open File " ,Open multiple files", "Open Folder", "Open disc" . I don't know which one to select .

You can follow this tutorial to play your DVD with VLC player.
Your most recently played items information and settings of your player are stored in files in "%appdata%/vlc" .
By default, there is no log file for you to check, but you can create an instance of your vlc player and log its activities at run-time.

Is this not solved yet? Just uninstall it and install it again. Or get another player.

Otherwise you need to check whether it is really a DVD what you are trying to open. If it is a Blu-ray disc, those things are encrypted. You will need something like this: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/

But that is very old, I don't know if it will work for you.

1. How do I download and install VLC media player on Windows 7?

To download and install VLC media player on Windows 7, you can go to the official website of VLC and click on the download button. The installation process is straightforward and will guide you through the necessary steps.

2. Can I watch DVDs on Windows 7 using VLC media player?

Yes, you can watch DVDs on Windows 7 using VLC media player. It is a free and open-source media player that supports various formats, including DVD playback.

3. How do I play a DVD on VLC media player on Windows 7?

To play a DVD on VLC media player on Windows 7, you can insert the DVD into your computer's DVD drive and then open VLC media player. Click on the "Media" tab and select "Open Disc." In the "Disc Selection" window, select "DVD" and click on "Play."

4. Can I adjust the playback settings while watching a DVD on VLC media player?

Yes, you can adjust the playback settings while watching a DVD on VLC media player. You can adjust the playback speed, audio and subtitle settings, and even add effects or filters to enhance your viewing experience.

5. Is there a way to save my progress while watching a DVD on VLC media player?

Yes, VLC media player allows you to save your progress while watching a DVD. Simply click on the "Media" tab and select "Save Playlist to File." This will save your progress, and you can resume watching from where you left off by opening the saved playlist file.