Discovering the Mystery Behind the Direction of Water Swirl in Your Sink

• B
  • Thread starter tomlib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the direction of the water in a spout is influenced by the rotation of the Earth, but other factors like the initial state of the water can also play a role. Veritasium and Smarter Every Day have a video discussing this phenomenon and the importance of controlling variables when observing it. Additionally, the speaker shares their personal experience of blocking the drain with a match while trying to replicate the experiment at home.
tomlib
I have a trivial question. What causes the direction in which the water in the spout turns? They say it's according to the Earth's hemisphere, but I don't really believe it and I'm looking for other reasons. Finally, even this reason would have to have some explanation.

Physics news on Phys.org
So, there is a theoretical effect due to the rotation of the earth. However, usually that is swamped by other disturbances like the initial state. So if there is only the slightest rotation already in the water before you start draining that will easily decide the rotational direction. Veritasium and Smarter Every Day did a video on this:

Likes russ_watters and berkeman
Did you fill and empty the sinks in your house to see which way they swirl? What did you learn?

Likes vanhees71
That I blocked the drain with a match.

• Haha
Likes vanhees71

FAQ: Discovering the Mystery Behind the Direction of Water Swirl in Your Sink

1. What causes the water to swirl in a specific direction in my sink?

The direction of water swirl in your sink is primarily influenced by the Coriolis effect, which is caused by the Earth's rotation. However, in small systems like sinks, other factors such as the shape of the basin, the angle at which water enters, and any residual currents play a more significant role than the Coriolis effect.

2. Does the Coriolis effect determine the direction of water swirl in household sinks?

While the Coriolis effect does influence large-scale phenomena like ocean currents and weather patterns, its impact on small bodies of water, such as those in sinks or bathtubs, is negligible. The direction of water swirl in household sinks is more affected by the sink's design and the way water enters and exits the drain.

3. Why does water sometimes swirl in different directions in different sinks?

Water can swirl in different directions in different sinks due to variations in sink design, the shape and angle of the drain, and the initial motion of the water. Factors such as how the water is poured, the presence of any obstructions, and even slight imperfections in the sink can influence the direction of the swirl.

4. Can the direction of water swirl be changed intentionally?

Yes, the direction of water swirl can be changed intentionally by altering the way water is introduced into the sink or by using physical objects to influence the flow. For example, pouring water into the sink at a specific angle or using a spoon to stir the water can change the direction of the swirl.

5. Is it true that water swirls counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere?

This is a common misconception. While the Coriolis effect does cause large-scale rotational patterns in different hemispheres, it does not significantly influence the direction of water swirl in small containers like sinks. The direction of water swirl in sinks is primarily determined by local factors rather than the hemisphere.

Back