Water that sucks while filling buckets

• Thread starter bbondi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, while filling a watering bucket for the garden, the nozzle of the hose was pulled down and 'sucked' to the bottom, despite the water still flowing. The nozzle had a standard design with a wide spray setting, and when the nozzle was pushed into the water, it stayed at the bottom with a slight suction. This phenomenon was attributed to a Bernoulli force and may be easily replicated as a classroom experiment.
bbondi
While filling a watering bucket for the garden plants I noticed there was a small suction pulling the nozzle of the hose down and 'sucking' to the bottom - yet the hose was still adding water to the bucket.

The hose had the 'standard' nozzle, which is screwed onto the end of the hose. It is longish and has a barrel that can be turned to get water out. The stream goes from very wide spray to the 'focused' jet stream of water.

I had the nozzle set to the wide spray - about 2 or 3 turns to open the water stream.

I started the filling and after a few seconds of the loud spraying sound of the water into the water, I pushed the hose/nozzle into the water to reduce the noise and when the nozzle tip was a 1/4 inch or so above the floor of the water bucket the nozzle was pulled down and came into contact bottom and stayed there with a slight suction. It was easy to feel the tug on the hose/nozzle while lifting it off the bottom and back and off again...

Yes, the water was spraying the whole time and having the suction effect.

This seems totally odd. The water pressure from the hose is pushing pretty hard is there some kind of vortex produced that causes this or...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
I've never heard of such a thing, but I suspect that you're correct regarding some sort of vacuum effect being caused by the flow. It's really difficult to envision just what might be happening, though.

You might also note that you cannot (easily) press the nozzle tight enough against the bottom of the bucket to stop the flow.

Bernoulli?

Jakeus314 said:
Bernoulli?

That's what I was thinking, but it seems to me that it would be more likely to occur with the nozzle set to narrow high-speed flow. This is far enough beyond me that I'm just going to lie in the weeds and wait for an answer from someone else.

Also see it what you are feeling is a cessation of the reaction forces, and the nozzle is neither drawn down or pushing away from the bucket bottom, or an actual pull towards the bottom of the bucket.

What I'm suggesting is, you might not be feeling suction, just a neutralization of the reaction force.

It'll happen most any time a fluid moving a two different speeds. Faster moving where the water is just going past the edge of the threads of the nozzle. And slow above and around.

You say the spray was set on wide.

I wonder if the nozzle was causing cavitation. Water is pushing outward all around the outer area of the nozzle. There'd be a partial vacuum in the cone-shaped area directly under the nozzle.

What the actual answer will be( or if DaveC426913 has a strong candidate answer ) it is an easy classroom experiment: OK, let's get-up, out of our chairs and go outside...

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this oddity, gardening can be thought provoking!

Definitely suction. A Bernoulli force. The same principle that will prevent you blowing a ping pong ball out of a funnel. :smile:

Related to Water that sucks while filling buckets

1. Why does the water suck while filling buckets?

The water may suck while filling buckets due to a phenomenon called siphoning. This occurs when the water in the bucket is lower than the source of the water, causing it to flow in the opposite direction due to atmospheric pressure.

2. How can I prevent water from sucking while filling buckets?

You can prevent water from sucking while filling buckets by ensuring that the source of the water is higher than the bucket, thus avoiding the siphoning effect. Alternatively, you can use a pump to fill the bucket instead.

3. Is it safe to drink water that has been sucked while filling buckets?

In most cases, it is safe to drink water that has been sucked while filling buckets. However, if the source of the water is contaminated or the bucket is not clean, it may not be safe to drink.

4. Can using a larger bucket help prevent water from sucking while filling?

Yes, using a larger bucket can help prevent water from sucking while filling. This is because a larger bucket can hold more water and create more pressure, making it less likely for the water to siphon.

5. Does the temperature of the water affect siphoning while filling buckets?

Yes, the temperature of the water can affect siphoning while filling buckets. Colder water tends to create a stronger suction force, making it more likely for the water to siphon. This can be avoided by using room temperature or warmer water.