Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave aspect of light( index of refraction)

1. Jun 4, 2013 #1
    hello
    if the fish is swiming below the water, and we need to catch it, we will spear the fish above, below or at the fish? if we will use laser light, thn above, below or at the fish?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi saba sha! :wink:

tell us what you think, and then we'll comment! :smile:

(start with the laser light)

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3
    if i know the answer to this question, why i posted it here.......:(
    laser light mere guess above the fish.

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

no need to guess, you can work it out! :tongue2:

first, draw a diagram showing the surface of the water (that'll be a horizontal line), the fish (under the water), a nice big eye (above the water), and a second (bent) line that light follows from the fish to the eye (which enables the eye to see the fish in the first place)

mark the angles of incidence and of refraction, and write the formula for them​

then do the same thing all over again, in a second diagram, but this time with a line that the laser light follows from the eye to the fish instead of the original second line

what do you notice? :smile:

(btw, laser light behaves like ordinary light, you can forget that it's from a laser)

(and assume the fish is so slow that you can assume it's stationary)

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5
    thats right but the formula is to find the angle of incidence with the surface. not about the depth of the surface

2nd question is about. as light waves stretched or squeezed with the speed they enter the surface. do this matter as well?

7. Jun 5, 2013 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

yes, but if the angle is bigger, then the light goes deeper, so the angles do help you to find the depth

draw the two diagrams …

what do you notice?​

sorry, i don't understand you :confused:

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7
    as light move from 1 medium to another medium it stretched or squezed depending on the speed. please clear it.
    still i am unable to understand even after fig with which angle and where should i spot the lite?

9. Jun 6, 2013 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

can you show us your two diagrams?

(or describe them, particularly describing any difference between the two diagrams)

10. Jun 6, 2013 #9

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

When the light enters a medium with a different index of refraction the wavelength changes. (But not the frequency) if it moves into a higher refractive index the wavelength shortens, since the frequency is the same but the wave's velocity is slower. The opposite occurs when going from a higher to a lower refractive index.

Could you be more specific with where you are having trouble in your problem? Have you done everything suggested to you already? If not, what could you not do?

11. Jun 7, 2013 #10
    i am facing problem about where my light will spot and at how much depth it will goes? angle of incidence and refraction i calculated. but depth of light i cant calculate
    sorry i cant upload pics

12. Jun 7, 2013 #11

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

good :smile:

show us your calculations (for each of the two diagrams)​

13. Jun 7, 2013 #12
    how i show you?

14. Jun 7, 2013 #13

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

?? :confused: you said …
    ok, you calculated, so type out what you calculated!

15. Jun 8, 2013 #14
    hmmmmm
    as by snells law, angle of incidence and angle of refraction we can calculate.
    now the problem i faced is, are we aming perpendicular or at angle? and how we come to know that our our light will hit rightly on target?
    how i rite calculations here? new plz guide

16. Jun 8, 2013 #15

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

at an angle

draw the fish on the left and the eye on the right, and a (bent) line joining them shwoing the path of the light

17. Jun 8, 2013 #16
    that drawn......light moved and and refracted as entered into water......now above fish or below fish?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook