Why does F'(x-ct) equal Dy/Dx in the wave equation for a string?

In summary, the given conversation discusses the well-known PDE of an infinite length string, with transverse displacement y=y(x,t) and velocity c of the wave. It is stated that if the shape of the string is described by the function y(x,t)=F(x-ct), then Dy/Dt= -c*F'(x-ct)= -c*Dy/Dx. The last statement is found to be confusing and further explanation is requested. After working with examples, it is concluded that Dy/Dx=F'(x-ct) and Dy/Dt=-c*Dy/Dx. This is verified by taking the partial derivatives of both functions.
makris
Assume the well known PDE of an infinite length string

D^2(y)/Dt^2 = c^2* ( D^2(y)/Dx^2)

where y=y(x,t) is the transverse displacement of the string.
D/Dx= partial derivative with respect to x
D/Dt= partial derivative with respect to t
c= velocity of the wave

According to Morse and Ingard's Theoretical Acoustics (page 97), if the shape of the string is described by the function y(x,t)=F(x-ct), then Dy/Dt= -c*F'(x-ct)= -c*Dy/Dx (Where F'(z)= the derivative of F with respect to z).

I found the last statement a little bit confusing. Could anyone explain why F'(x-ct)=Dy/Dx ? Obviously if F'(x-ct)=Dy/Dt then a constrain is put on c which is not correct...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}F(x-ct)[/itex]?

Does it equal [itex]F'(x-ct)[/itex]?

I have concluded that Dy/Dx=F'(x-ct) after working with some examples.
So I wrote down several functions with (x-ct) as an argument and I took the partial derivative with respect to x. Then I took the derivative with respect to the argument as a whole (z=(x-ct) ) to form F'(x-ct). They are equal. Done.

Did u write everything in one line like i did?? :wink: :tongue2:

[tex] \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}=\frac{dF(x-vt)}{d(x-vt)}\frac{\partial (x-vt)}{\partial x}=\frac{dF(x-vt)}{d(x-vt)} [/tex]

Daniel.

Exactly!

I have done the same both for Dy/Dx and Dy/Dt to verify that Dy/Dt=-c*Dy/Dx

Thanks.

1. What is the wave equation for a string?

The wave equation for a string is a mathematical equation that describes the motion of a string under tension. It takes into account the properties of the string, such as its mass, length, and tension, and describes how the string will vibrate when it is plucked or struck.

2. How is the wave equation for a string derived?

The wave equation for a string can be derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion and Hooke's Law, which states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What are the variables in the wave equation for a string?

The variables in the wave equation for a string include the tension of the string (T), its linear density (μ), the length of the string (L), and the wave speed (v). These variables are used to solve for the displacement of the string (y) at a given point and time.

4. What does the wave equation for a string tell us about the behavior of waves?

The wave equation for a string tells us that the displacement of a string at any given point and time is determined by the superposition of two waves traveling in opposite directions. It also shows that the speed of the wave is dependent on the tension and linear density of the string.

5. How is the wave equation for a string used in real-world applications?

The wave equation for a string is used in various real-world applications, such as in musical instruments like guitars and pianos, as well as in engineering and physics fields to study the behavior of waves. It is also used in seismology to understand and predict the behavior of seismic waves during earthquakes.