Wave Equation traveling to the left

In summary, the conversation revolved around deriving the general nontrivial relation between \phi and \psi in order to produce a solution to the wave equation u_{tt}-u_{xx}=0 in the xt-plane, with initial conditions u(x,0)=\Phi(x) and u_t(x,0)=\Psi(x), and consisting solely of a wave traveling to the left along the x-axis. The student attempted to solve the problem by using d'Alembert's formula and assuming the general solution takes the form of u(x,t)=G(x+ct). However, they got stuck when trying to work in reverse from this solution and using the initial conditions.
roldy

Homework Statement

Derive the general nontrivial relation between [tex]\phi[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] which will produce a solution to [tex]u_{tt}-u_{xx}=0[/tex] in the xt-plane satisfying

[tex]u(x,0)=\Phi(x)[/tex] and [tex]u_t(x,0)=\Psi(x)[/tex] for [tex]-\infty\leq x \leq \infty[/tex]

and such that u consists solely of a wave traveling to the left along the x-axis.

Homework Equations

d'Alemberts Formula

The Attempt at a Solution

So for a wave traveling to the left, the equation takes the form of

[tex]u(x,t)=G(x+ct)[/tex]

Is this correct? It was my assumption that wave equations have two parts to them, i.e [tex]F(x-ct)[/tex] and [tex]G(x+ct)[/tex].

I think I know the general procedure of doing this, although I am probably wrong as I am just guessing here. We were never shown in class how to derive relations between the functions of the initial conditions.

I think that I would probably work in reverse from [tex]u(x,t)=G(x+ct)[/tex]

So with the initial conditions...

[tex]
u(x,0)=\phi(x)=G(ct)
[/tex]
[tex]
u_t(x,0)=\psi(x)=cG'(ct)
[/tex]

After this I got stuck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that the general solution is:

[tex]
u(t,x)=f(x-t)+g(x+t)
[/tex]

and use the two initial condition.

1. What is the Wave Equation traveling to the left?

The Wave Equation traveling to the left is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of waves as they move to the left in a given medium. It is based on the principles of conservation of energy and mass, and it can be used to predict the shape, speed, and amplitude of a wave as it travels to the left.

2. How is the Wave Equation traveling to the left derived?

The Wave Equation traveling to the left is derived from the general wave equation, which is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the relationship between the displacement of a wave and its position and time. By making assumptions about the wave and its medium, such as constant velocity and negligible damping, the equation can be simplified to only consider the leftward-traveling component of the wave.

3. What are the variables involved in the Wave Equation traveling to the left?

The variables involved in the Wave Equation traveling to the left include the displacement of the wave (y), its position (x) and time (t), the velocity of the wave (v), the wave's wavelength (λ), and the wave's frequency (f). These variables can be used to solve the equation and determine the properties of the wave as it travels to the left.

4. How does the Wave Equation traveling to the left relate to real-life waves?

The Wave Equation traveling to the left is a simplified model that can be applied to various types of waves in different mediums, such as sound waves in air or water waves in the ocean. While it may not perfectly describe all aspects of real-life waves, it provides a useful framework for understanding and predicting their behavior.

5. Is the Wave Equation traveling to the left always accurate?

The Wave Equation traveling to the left is a theoretical model and may not always accurately predict the behavior of real-life waves. Factors such as non-uniform mediums, interference, and nonlinear behavior can affect the accuracy of the equation. However, it is a valuable tool for understanding the fundamental principles of wave motion and can provide useful insights in many practical applications.