1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Wave Motion, writing an equation.

1. May 1, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A sinusoidal wave traveling in the -x direction (to the left) has an amplitude of 20.0 cm, a wavelength of 29.0 cm, and a frequency of 15.0 Hz. The transverse position of an element of the medium at t = 0, x = 0 is y = -3.00 cm, and the element has a positive velocity here.

Write an expression for the wave function y(x,t), where y and x are expressed in cm, and t is expressed in seconds.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\omega = 2\pif[/tex]

v=(lambda)(frequency)

[tex] k = 2\pi/\lambda[/tex]

[tex] y(x,t) = Asin[\left(2\pi/\lambda\right)(x - vt)][/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    We are given the fact that:

[tex]A = 20.0cm[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = 29cm[/tex]

[tex] v = (lambda)(frequency) = 435cm/s[/tex]

I think the answer is the following, but I am not sure, and I only have one more submission left, so I want to be sure.

[tex] y(x,t) = -20.0cos[.217(x-435t)][/tex]

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2008 #2
    Anyone have any idea if I am correct?

4. May 2, 2008 #3

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi Ithryndil,

If you check your answer at x=0 and t=0, you get that y=-20 cm. However, this is not what the problem specifies; they say they want x==-3cm at x=0 and t=0.

I think you need to include a phase constant in your expression that will give the correct initial condition.

5. May 2, 2008 #4
    You mean y = 3 cm? And I think so too. I just realized that the general equation for y(x,t) is as follows:

[tex]
    y(x,t) = Asin(kx - vt + \phi)]
    [/tex]

I think the above equation is for a wave traveling to the right. I think because this wave is traveling to the left it needs to be:

[tex]
    y(x,t) = Asin(kx + vt + \phi)]
    [/tex]

6. May 2, 2008 #5

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Yes, I did mean y= -3 cm. Sorry!

Your updated equation looks good. Once you plug in the numbers you found, you can check that it matches y=-3cm at x=0 and t=0 and that it also has a positive velocity (in the y direction at that point).

7. May 2, 2008 #6
    Alright, thank you for the help.

8. May 2, 2008 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is almost correct. There should either be some more parentheses inside the sin argument, or replace vt with [tex]\omega t[/tex].

9. May 3, 2008 #8
    You're right, it should be: [tex]y(x,t) = A\sin(kx + \omegat + \phi)[/tex]

I wound up getting the following for the equation:

[tex]y(x,t)20.0sin(0.217x+94.25t-0.1506)[/tex]

Now I was stupid and input [tex]y(x,t)20.0cos(0.217x+94.25t-0.1506)[/tex]...note I put cosine and not sine. Yes, the cosine would be correct with the right phase angle, but it's not with that phase angle.

10. May 3, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your expression (using sin) looks good. :smile:

11. May 3, 2008 #10
    Thank you. I just can't believe I inputted the expression with cos instead of sin.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?