Waveform obtained due to random BPSK data

In summary: The equation for the power spectral density is easy to derive, but you will need to generate a simulated BPSK signal to help you. Without simulation, you will not be able to derive the equation for the power spectral density.
kautilya
Hi there,

I am trying to obtain the waveform due to random binary phase-shift keying. the graph is similar to a sinc/sampling function. Can someone help how to go about it?

regards
kautilya

Physics news on Phys.org
kautilya said:
Hi there,

I am trying to obtain the waveform due to random binary phase-shift keying. the graph is similar to a sinc/sampling function. Can someone help how to go about it?

regards
kautilya

The "waveform" or the spectra? Can you please put your question in context, and give more details about what you are looking for and why?

kautilya said:
Hi there,

regards
kautilya

I assume you mean the power spectral density, since you said it looks similar to a sinc function. (Actually sinc squared.)

In what way do you want to "obtain" it? Do you want to derive an equation for it, or produce a plot of it using a simulation, or measure it on a spectrum analyzer, or what?

The equation is easy to derive, if you recognize that the autocorrelation function corresponding to a random BPSK signal (at baseband) is a triangle, the base of which is twice the bit length, and that the power spectral density is the Fourier transform of the autocorrelation function.

Hi there

Thanks for the reply. When i said i wanted to obtain it, yes, i really meant deriving the equation of the power spectral density function and also plot the function using MATLAB simulation from the random data of BPSK.

Can you help me regarding this?

regards
kautilya

kautilya said:
Hi there

Thanks for the reply. When i said i wanted to obtain it, yes, i really meant deriving the equation of the power spectral density function and also plot the function using MATLAB simulation from the random data of BPSK.

Can you help me regarding this?

regards
kautilya

To derive it, like I said, start with the autocorrelation function, which is

R(tau) = E[x(t) x(t + tau)]

Without too much difficulty, you should be able to show that this is a triangular function between -T and T (where T is the bit length), centered at 0, and zero outside that interval. This assumes that a +1 bit and -1 bit are equally likely and that the bit values are statistically independent from one another. (Actually uncorrelated would suffice.)

If you're stuck on that part, please show us what equation you are assuming for x(t), and how far you are able to get.

This all presumes that x(t) is wide-sense stationary; otherwise the autocorrelation function will depend on two parameters, not just one. Wide-sense stationarity should be true in your case unless you're making an unusual assumption of some kind, but you should verify that this is true.

Once you have that R(tau) is a triangle function, just take its Fourier transform to obtain a sinc^2. Either you know this reflexively based on having it hammered into you in a signals and systems course, or you can derive it by expressing R(tau) as the convolution of a simpler function with itself, and remembering what convolution in the time domain corresponds to in the frequency domain.

Finally, for simulating all of this in Matlab, I assume you can generate a vector containing a simulated BPSK time domain signal. (Either with or without noise added.) I'll assume you have B samples per bit and M bits, so the vector contains BM samples. You'll then want to repeat this process N times (obtain M random BPSK vectors) so you can do a Monte Carlo approximation to the expected value in the defining equation for R(tau).

You can then estimate the power spectral density in one of two ways.

(1) Compute x(t)x(t-tau) for each BPSK vector and for as many values of tau as desired (tau is the offset between samples in the product, and has the same granularity as your sampling rate). For each tau, you can accumulate across all the t values because of the wide-sense stationary assumption. For each BPSK vector this will produce a sample autocorrelation function, call it R_n(tau), where n varies from 1 to N. Then simply average the R_n(tau)'s from 1 to N for each tau, resulting in R(tau). You can then take the Fourier transform using Matlab.

(2) You can directly compute the Fourier transform of each BPSK vector, and then take its magnitude squared. Repeat this process for each BPSK vector, and then average the magnitude-squared FFT's. This should result in the same power spectral density, except probably for a scale factor.

Hi there.

Thanks a lot for the reply jbunnii.

I understood your point regarding this. can u show me how do i generate this equation using a random data / vector without simulation? i mean mathematically can u derive the equation for me using random data bits?

i will highly appreciate it.

regards
kautilya

kautilya said:
Hi there.

Thanks a lot for the reply jbunnii.

I understood your point regarding this. can u show me how do i generate this equation using a random data / vector without simulation? i mean mathematically can u derive the equation for me using random data bits?

i will highly appreciate it.

regards
kautilya

If this is for homework or coursework, then no, he should not derive the equation for you. That would be against the PF Rules.

What is the context of your question? What is the application? Is this for school work?

Hi there.

No, this is not a homework or coursework. This is a study-oriented university project i am carrying out on digital modulation techniques. I am getting stuck on this derivation part where we assume random data from BPSK. Can u pls help me derive the equation and hence plot the power spectral density for this case?

will appreciate it.

regards
kautilya

kautilya said:
Hi there.

No, this is not a homework or coursework. This is a study-oriented university project i am carrying out on digital modulation techniques. I am getting stuck on this derivation part where we assume random data from BPSK. Can u pls help me derive the equation and hence plot the power spectral density for this case?

will appreciate it.

regards
kautilya

Why don't you show us what you have done so far? Also, a derivation of this exact result should be in just about any textbook on digital communication systems. You can also find it in various engineering-oriented books on probability and random processes or on statistical signal processing/estimation theory.

Hi there.

I appreciate your reply. but the fact is i haven't started or done anything regarding this. i was just reading material on this but my concepts arent clear still. with ur help i might be able to go a long way in this project. pls start off for me. i ll get an idea and can carry on further based on my understanding. pls start off with some random BPSK data.

will highly apprecite it. i have to submit it in 2-3 days. so it is urgent.

regards

kautilya

kautilya said:
Hi there.

I appreciate your reply. but the fact is i haven't started or done anything regarding this. i was just reading material on this but my concepts arent clear still. with ur help i might be able to go a long way in this project. pls start off for me. i ll get an idea and can carry on further based on my understanding. pls start off with some random BPSK data.

will highly apprecite it. i have to submit it in 2-3 days. so it is urgent.

regards

kautilya

We do not do your university work for you. You have been given quite good help in this thread so far. Re-read it, and look in the communication books as suggested above. Get used to doing your own work. You say it's not homework, but it's due in two days. Right.

Thread moved to Homework Help.

1. What is a BPSK waveform?

A BPSK waveform is a type of digital modulation that uses binary data (0s and 1s) to modulate a carrier signal. BPSK stands for Binary Phase Shift Keying, and it involves shifting the phase of the carrier signal to represent the binary data.

2. How is a BPSK waveform obtained?

A BPSK waveform is obtained by modulating a carrier signal with binary data using a BPSK modulation scheme. This involves changing the phase of the carrier signal based on the binary data, resulting in a waveform that alternates between two distinct phases.

3. What is the significance of using random data in BPSK?

Using random data in BPSK is important because it allows for a more efficient use of the available bandwidth. Random data ensures that the carrier signal is constantly changing, which helps to avoid interference and allows for multiple signals to be transmitted simultaneously.

4. What does the waveform look like for random BPSK data?

The waveform obtained from random BPSK data will consist of a series of alternating phases, with each phase representing a 0 or 1 bit of data. The specific shape and characteristics of the waveform will depend on the modulation scheme and the properties of the carrier signal.

5. How is the quality of the BPSK waveform measured?

The quality of a BPSK waveform can be measured by analyzing its signal-to-noise ratio (SNR). A higher SNR indicates a better quality waveform with less noise and interference, while a lower SNR may result in errors and a lower data transmission rate.