1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Wavefunction obeying Schrodinger equation.

1. May 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I've attached my past paper question, which contains the relevant integral identity too.

3. The attempt at a solution

This question is relatively simple, yet I can't seem to complete it.

I used the schrodinger equation which is:

-(ħ²/2m)[tex]\nabla^2[/tex]u + Vu = Eu

I then used the identity given in the question, to differentiate the wavefunction w.r.t to r twice. (In this part I had to differentiate by products since there was another factor of r).

Differentiating the wavefunction twice gave me:

(Z²/a²).r.u

When I put this into the schrodinger equation above, knowing V and E, I dont get the correct answer.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2
    I forgot to say, that it's the first part of the question which I'm having trouble with.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

4. May 15, 2010 #3

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Can't tell you where you go wrong since you barely show any work, but I can tell you two things.

1) Your Schrodinger equation is incorrect.

2) You differentiated the wave function twice incorrectly.

5. May 15, 2010 #4
    I've fixed that now. I differentiated the wavefunction using the product rule:

using the identity given in the question, I had:

d²/dr²[ r. exp(-Zr/a)] Is this what I need to differentiate?

6. Apr 16, 2011 #5
    Out of interest, how would one go about solving the third part of this question?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook