Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Waveguide discontinuity with centered circular aperture

1. May 16, 2012 #1
    Hello!!
    This is the first time I write in the forum. I hope to be fully in-topic.
    I'm dealing with a rectangular waveguide discontinuity: a perfect-conductor plane orthogonal to the propagation direction, with a circular aperture in the centre of the guide section. The structure is symmetrical along the x axis and the y axis and I drew it in the attachment, where the z axis is outgoing from the screen.
    In my note the professor talked about a strange "Edge Theorem" (which we didn't demonstrate and which I can't find in any book). The Theorem says that:
    - a field component which is parallel to an edge is diffracted but not folded (and so it doesn't generate any new field component);
    - a field component which is orthogonal to an edge is diffracted and folded along the plane perpendicular to the edge (so it could generate a new field component).
    The discontinuity is reached by the fundamental TE10 mode: in my coordinate system, it has EY, HX and HZ field components.
    According to the Theorem, when EY reaches the upper and the lower part of the circle (points A and D in the picture) it is orthogonal to the circle edge and it generates an EZ component.
    When HZ reaches the left and the right part of the circle (points B and C in the picture) it generates HX; similarly, in those points HX generates HZ.
    But what about HY and EX? I can't see how they are generated, but they are, because I wrote in my notes that the field becomes a 6-components field.
    The only electric field component is EY, but when it reaches the oblique edge between A and B, it generates an EZ again and not an EY! What is wrong?
    Thank you anyway!
    Bye,

Emily

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2
    I don't have a copy of the article, but Hans Bethe wrote a paper during the War on microwave couplers using small holes. These later became referred to as Bethe holes. See http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PR/v66/i7-8/p163_1.
    I would also look in Marcuvitz's Microwave Handbook..

4. May 17, 2012 #3
    I tried to read the article but it's not available, unfortunately. Thank you anyway for your reference! I read also the Marcuvitz's Microwave Handbook: it deals with such a discontinuity, but it considers just the equivalent circuit (an admittance) and not which field components arise from it.

Emily

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook