Wavelength and Frequency in a Waveguide

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a waveguide, and then asks to express the group velocity in terms of c and the phase velocity. The solution involves using the equation ω = 2πf and some simple algebra to manipulate the given expression and solve for f.
James Brady
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing.
The problem states that the wavelength and frequency in a waveguide are related by:

##\lambda = \frac{c}{\sqrt{f^2 - f_0^2}}##

then asks to express the group velocity ##v_g## in terms of c and the phase velocity ##v_p = \lambda f##
Solution:

Given that ##\omega = 2\pi f##,

## \omega(k) = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{c^2}{\lambda^2} + f_0^2} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{c^2 k^2}{4 \pi^2} + f_0^2}##

So I'm trying to understand how they got omega there. I figured that by using ## f \lambda = c, f = \frac{c}{\lambda}##, we could change it from a wavelength term to a frequency term, then by multiplying both sides by 2pi, it is now in terms of radians per second.

##f = \frac{c}{\lambda} = c \frac{\sqrt{f^2 - f_0^2}}{c}##

So I'm trying to understand how they got that plus sign in there. Is this some simple algebra thing that I'm completely missing or is my reasoning wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
James Brady said:
Given that ##\omega = 2\pi f##,
## \omega(k) = 2\pi \sqrt{\frac{c^2}{\lambda^2} + f_0^2} = 2 \pi \sqrt{\frac{c^2 k^2}{4 \pi^2} + f_0^2}##
Just algebra! Take λ = c/√(f2-f02), multiply both sides, solve for f. Then ω(k) = 2πf.

@rude man I see this now... Thank you.

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency in a waveguide?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave in a waveguide are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

2. How does the size of a waveguide affect the wavelength and frequency of a wave?

The size of a waveguide directly affects the wavelength and frequency of a wave. A larger waveguide will allow for longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, while a smaller waveguide will only support shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies. This is due to the fact that the size of the waveguide sets the limit for the number of wave cycles that can fit within its boundaries.

3. Can the wavelength and frequency of a wave be changed in a waveguide?

Yes, the wavelength and frequency of a wave can be changed in a waveguide. This can be achieved through various methods such as changing the size or shape of the waveguide, introducing reflecting surfaces or bends in the waveguide, or using different materials with varying refractive indices.

4. What is the importance of matching the wavelength and frequency in a waveguide?

Matching the wavelength and frequency in a waveguide is crucial for efficient transmission of electromagnetic waves. If the wavelength is too long or too short for the waveguide, the wave will not be able to propagate through it effectively. This can result in signal loss and distortion.

5. How do wavelength and frequency affect the amount of energy carried by a wave in a waveguide?

The wavelength and frequency of a wave in a waveguide are directly related to the amount of energy it carries. Higher frequencies and shorter wavelengths correspond to a greater amount of energy, while lower frequencies and longer wavelengths carry less energy. This is why higher frequency waves, such as X-rays and gamma rays, are more harmful to living organisms than lower frequency waves, like radio waves.