Ways to minimize scattering as T increases

• I
  • Thread starter ZeroFunGame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scattering
In summary, the conversation discusses ways to prevent or minimize Coulomb/phonon scattering in a MOSFET as temperature increases. This includes dipping the circuit in liquid nitrogen, improving surface state density and reducing surface roughness, and using standard channel engineering tricks. Isotropic doping and improved dielectrics can also help reduce phonon scattering. There are no limitations on using other materials, such as GaN, to avoid the limitations of Si's intrinsic carriers at higher temperatures.
ZeroFunGame
TL;DR Summary
as temperature rises in a MOSFET, are there tricks to prevent the Coulomb/phonon scattering? Or at least minimize it?
as temperature rises in a MOSFET, are there tricks to prevent the Coulomb/phonon scattering? Or at least minimize it?

This is in reference to Fig 4 here:
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f8a0/b9b7030f7201ef17c6ff66ec660fd75c7aae.pdf

The more overarching question is related to ring oscillators and circuits in general, and whether there is a way to minimize frequency degradation as temperature is increased.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dip the circuit in liquid nitrogen.

Added the caveat that you cannot cool the device :)

I was thinking semiconductor material engineering, or circuit compensation, etc. Not sure if these actually exist as solutions

ZeroFunGame said:
Added the caveat that you cannot cool the device :)

I was thinking semiconductor material engineering, or circuit compensation, etc. Not sure if these actually exist as solutions

Improve surface state density via improved dielectrics, reduce phonon scattering via strain and isotropic doping, reduce surface scattering by reducing surface roughness. There's a few more, but I guess standard channel engineering tricks to boost mobility is the way to go

ZeroFunGame said:
Improve surface state density via improved dielectrics
Could you explain what you mean by this quote above?

What is isotropic doping?

Could you also talk about your limitations? For example, must you use silicon?

Likes fluidistic
Dr_Nate said:
Could you explain what you mean by this quote above?

What is isotropic doping?

Could you also talk about your limitations? For example, must you use silicon?

My understanding is that you want to reduce interface states and charge traps, as this could lead to greater scattering at the dielectric semiconductor interface, thus reducing mobility (please correct me if I am mistaken)

Isotropic doping, I assume means uniform doping as a function of depth, but my understanding here could be mistaken.

Limitations? No, you don't have you use silicon. For example, why not use GaN since they have a wide bandgap. But then the limitations wouldn't be interface states or doping since it's a HEMT structure. Diamond or GaO or SiC could be another option. I'm not sure what you mean by limitations -- for Si, it's the dominance of intrinsic carriers as T increases

Last edited:

1. How does increasing temperature affect scattering?

As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of particles also increases. This leads to more collisions between particles, causing an increase in scattering.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and the intensity of scattered light?

The intensity of scattered light is directly proportional to the temperature. As temperature increases, the intensity of scattered light also increases.

3. What are some ways to minimize scattering as temperature increases?

One way to minimize scattering is by using a polarizer, which filters out light waves that are scattered in different directions. Another way is to use a narrower wavelength of light, as this can reduce the number of particles that can scatter the light.

4. How does the composition of the medium affect scattering at high temperatures?

The composition of the medium can greatly affect scattering at high temperatures. For example, a medium with larger particles or impurities can cause more scattering compared to a pure medium with smaller particles.

5. Can changing the angle of incidence help minimize scattering at high temperatures?

Yes, changing the angle of incidence can help minimize scattering at high temperatures. By adjusting the angle of incidence, the path of the light can be altered, potentially reducing the number of collisions between particles and decreasing scattering.