We can travel faster that light?

In summary, the conversation discusses Einstein's special theory of relativity and the concept of spacetime being constant while space and time are relative. It also questions whether it is possible to travel faster than the speed of light and how that would affect the perception of light for an observer outside of a fast-moving object. The speaker also mentions their interest in quantum physics and their confusion about the relationship between light and speed in Einstein's theory.
Bonoman
I'm not native English speaker so some words or phrases I say maysound strange and awkward but I hope you could get over it...according to Einsteins special theory of relativity space is relative, tiem is relative but spacetime is constant...lets say that you're traveling constant is 300 000...so if you're traveling at 1 unit through space you'll be traveling 300 000 units trough time...if you're traveling 150 000 units trough space you'll be traveling 2 units trough time...if you're traveling 300 000 units trough space you'll be traveling 1 unit trough time and let's say that that is speed of light...but why couldn't you travel at 600 000 units trough space and 0.5 units trough time? wouldn't that be more than speed of light trough space? or something even better...why couldn't we absolutely stop traveling trough space and than go trough time at infinite speed?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get the idea that the product of "traveling through space" and "traveling through time" is a constant?

I tought that Einstein told in theory of special relativity that space is relative, time is relative but spacetime is constant?

t is relative, x is relative, but ds^2=ct^2-x^2 is constant (for 1 spatial dimension).

Oh, thanks, I'm not physician yet, I'm only 14 xDD, so I never got to that equotation that you wrote, but I really like reading about quantum physics and things like thgat, I read Brian Greene's The fabric of the Cosmos few times and I found it actually quite easy to understand and to read...at least understandable things xDD...
I've got to one more question...lets imagine that some dude buys himself a ultra fast car, that can go near the speed of light...car like any other has lights and he turns them on...Einstein told that he will see light going at the speed of light in relation to him, but let's say that his GF is looking at him, but she is standing outside the car, she stands still on ground, Einstein told that light from car's lights will go at the speed of light in relation to her, even doe that he is going almost at the speed of light, they meassure the same thing for that light beam (he and light beam are going in same direction)...so can you explain it to me if is there any logical explanation? And do I got it right?

It would be a good idea to start by reading the FAQs at the beginning of the section.

1. Can we really travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the ultimate speed limit in the universe. It is considered to be a fundamental constant and cannot be surpassed by any object or energy.

2. Is there any evidence that suggests faster-than-light travel is possible?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence that suggests faster-than-light travel is possible. However, there have been some theoretical concepts proposed, such as wormholes and warp drive, which could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. But these concepts are still purely hypothetical and have not been proven to be achievable.

3. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time and space begin to warp and change. This is known as time dilation and length contraction. As an object moves faster, time slows down for that object relative to a stationary observer, and its length in the direction of motion appears to shorten. This is a fundamental aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity.

4. Are there any exceptions to the speed of light being the ultimate speed limit?

There are currently no known exceptions to the speed of light being the ultimate speed limit. However, some particles, such as neutrinos, have been observed to travel slightly faster than the speed of light in certain experiments. This is believed to be due to experimental error, and further research is needed to confirm these results.

5. What are the implications of faster-than-light travel?

If faster-than-light travel were possible, it would have major implications for our understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It could potentially allow us to explore distant galaxies and reach other planets in a shorter amount of time. However, it could also lead to paradoxes and violations of causality, making it a topic of much debate and speculation in the scientific community.