Is Hatred Towards the British Justified for the Gulf Oil Spill?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, there has been a lot of news coverage about the perception in Britain that Americans are blaming the British for the oil spill. However, this is not the general attitude of the American public, as most see BP as the responsible party. The media has also been sensationalizing the issue and trying to make it a "British vs. American" problem. Some individuals have expressed animosity towards the British, but this is not a widespread sentiment. The British media has also been criticized for defending BP and bashing Obama's criticism, while some Americans believe Obama has been too soft on BP. However, it is important to note that BP is a global company and provides fuel to the US. Overall, while there may be some tensions between the
xxChrisxx said:
There isn't anything wrong with taking a day off (as you say he's pretty much useless in stopping this), it is however a PR mistake to do it so publicly.

How private differs from public?

I guess people always keep on looking for opportunities to blame someone when things go wrong.

BP did best it could do to deal with the crisis, US government did best to blame everything on BP, and public did best to blame things on both government and BP

Physics news on Phys.org
Becuase when the heats on you, many people affected by the spill will see it as insulting that he went swanning off on a boat somewhere.

PR is all about image.

rootX said:
How private differs from public?

I guess people always keep on looking for opportunities to blame someone when things go wrong.

BP did best it could do to deal with the crisis, US government did best to blame everything on BP, and public did best to blame things on both government and BP

To that in italics, agreed, to that in bold, really?

nismaratwork said:
To that in italics, agreed, to that in bold, really?

Best it could do, what you wanted more from them? I am not talking about how this crisis occurred and what happened earlier but actions they took to deal with the crisis.

rootX said:
Best it could do, what you wanted more from them? I am not talking about how this crisis occurred and what happened earlier but actions they took to deal with the crisis.

Ah, then I agree with you.

Come on guys, this is easy. The media loves controversy, so they're trying to play up an angle to the story. There has been similar suggestions that Americans blame the British in the British media.

I'm pretty sure BP is chartered in the Marshall Islands anyway.

Hate is such a strong word.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Hate is such a strong word.

Not when compared to "loathing" or "murderous rage/envy/" or "spite". The common usage of hate has diluted its impact, and I suspect fewer people really understand what it is to genuinely experience prolonged hatred.