Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

WE theorem to evaluate matrix elements

1. Dec 3, 2008 #1
    Hi!

In my work I use the WE theorem to evaluate matrix elements. F being the total spin and m the projection onto the z-axis, I am using:

<JIFm|r_(-q)|J'IF'm'>=(-1)^(F'+m'-m)<Fm1q|F'm'>sqrt(2F+1)sixj(F, F', 1:J',J,I)<J'||r||J>

I have a problem with the (-1)^ part which I suspect to be wrong, but have not been able to find a formula to compare a check. Am quite sure the rest is right. Could somebody help and tell what should be in the exponent?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2008 #2
    Re: Wigner-Eckart

I have the theorem as:

[tex]<\tau J M|T_q^{(k)}|\tau' J' M'> = {1 \over {\sqrt{2J+1}}}<\tau J ||T^{(k)}||\tau' J'><J' k M' q| J M>[/tex]

where [tex]<\tau J ||T^{(k)}||\tau' J'>[/tex] is the reduced matrix element.

Unfortunately I couldn't make head nor tail of the function you're trying to use. Maybe I'll've been of some help. Either way, this has been here for a couple of days with no reply, so maybe this will help the discussion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?