Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak Field Approx, algebra geodesic equation

1. Mar 10, 2015 #1
    My book says in the slow arrow-10x10.png motion approx, so ## v << c ##, ##v=\frac{dx^{i}}{dt}=O(\epsilon) ##
    It then states:

i) ##\frac{dx^{i}}{ds}=\frac{dt}{ds}\frac{dx^{i}}{dt}=O(\epsilon) ##
    ii) ## \frac{dx^{0}}{ds}=\frac{dt}{ds}=1+O(\epsilon) ##

The geodesic equation reduces from ##\frac{d^{2}x^{a}}{dt^{2}}+\Gamma^{a}_{bc}\frac{dx^{b}}{ds}\frac{dx^{c}}{ds} =0 ## to ##\frac{d^{2}x^{i}}{dt^{2}}+\Gamma^{i}_{00}\frac{dx^{0}}{ds}\frac{dx^{0}}{ds}=O(\epsilon^{2})##

Questions:
    1) I have no idea whatsoever where ii comes from.
    2) I see that in the slow arrow-10x10.png approx ##t## is approximately equal to ##s##, and so we can replace these in the first term, i.e ##\frac{dt}{ds}=1##, but isn't ##\frac{dx^{i}}{dt}=O(\epsilon) ## also negligible?

3)From ii) I think I see why we neglect ##\frac{dx^{i}}{ds}\frac{dx^{i}}{ds}## compared to ##\frac{dx^{0}}{ds}\frac{dx^{0}}{ds}## so the the former gives ##(O(\epsilon))^{2}## and the latter ##(1+O(\epsilon))(1+O(\epsilon))=(1+2O(\epsilon)+(O(\epsilon))^{2}) ##, so as it has a non ## \epsilon ## term we don't neglect it.

4) When we replace ##s## with ##t## for the fist term in the geodesic equation , why dont we do it for the second?

5) Finally probably a stupid question, from a different source:http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap7/node3.html (just above eq 28), I'm confused why ##\frac{dx^{0}}{dt}=c##, I thought ##t## is coordinate time, and ##x^{0}## is also coordinate time, so this would equal ##1##? what is ##x^{0}## then?

Your help is really appreciated thanks !

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2015 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Which book?

It comes from the fact that the 4-velocity is a unit 4-vector; its magnitude is 1 (or -1, depending on which metric signature convention you use). So we must have

$$
    1 = \sqrt{g_{\mu \nu} \frac{dx^{\mu}}{ds} \frac{dx^{\nu}}{ds}} = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{dx^0}{ds} \right)^2 - \Sigma \left( \frac{dx^i}{ds} \right)^2 }
    $$

If you work it out you will see that it shows that i) implies ii).

I think you mean ##d^2 x^a / ds^2## in the first term, correct? The geodesic equation starts out being written in terms of derivatives with respect to ##s##, not ##t##.

Here I think the second term should just be ##\Gamma^i{}_{00}##, correct? That factor is already ##O(\epsilon^2)##, so you can set ##dx^0 / ds \approx 1## since the ##O(\epsilon)## term in it can be neglected.

Yes.

Essentially, we do; each factor of ##dx^0 / ds## becomes ##dx^0 / dt = dt / dt = 1## if we are only keeping terms to ##O(\epsilon^2)##. See above.

4. Mar 10, 2015 #3

PeterDonis

2016 Award

This is just using conventional units in which ##c## is in meters per second, instead of being just a dimensionless number with magnitude 1. In these units, ##x^0 = ct## instead of just ##t##.

5. Mar 11, 2015 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Sort of an aside, it's not generally known that in the low-velocity, weak-gravity limit, the geodesics expressed in the appropriate coordinates is the same as the solutions of Newtonian gravity.

In Newtonian gravity, you have an action

[itex] A = \int dt (\frac{1}{2} m v^2 - m \Phi)[/itex]

where [itex]\Phi[/itex] is the Newtonian gravitational potential. You minimize it to find the paths of a test particle. In GR, in the low-velocity, weak-field limit, you have a proper time:

[itex] \tau = \int dt (1 - \frac{1}{2} \frac{v^2}{c^2} + \frac{\Phi}{c^2}) = t - A/mc^2[/itex]

So minimizing [itex]A[/itex] is the same as maximizing [itex]\tau[/itex]

The Newtonian potential [itex]\Phi[/itex] is related to the GR metric [itex]g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] through: [itex]g_{00} = 1 + \frac{2}{c^2} \Phi[/itex]

6. Mar 11, 2015 #5
    Thank you very much !
    So I've done this and I've got ##\frac{dx^{0}}{ds}=(1+O(\epsilon))^{\frac{1}{2}}=1+\frac{O(\epsilon)}{2} ##
    Is this correct and then ignore the ##\frac{1}{2} ## ?

7. Mar 11, 2015 #6

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Basically, yes.

8. Mar 14, 2015 #7
    Sorry just a side question, how does neglecting ##(O(\epsilon))^{2}## compare to neglecting ##O( \epsilon^{2} )##?
    Thanks.

9. Mar 14, 2015 #8

DrGreg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They are the same.

To understand the notation better, see Big O notation.

10. Mar 14, 2015 #9
    One more question sorry, on http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/omei/gr/chap7/node3.html [Broken] , going from (29) to (30), why the replacement of ## ,^{i} ##, so the partial derivatives, to ##\bigtriangledown ^{i} ##? , so this is the gradient function ? It has no significance right?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Mar 14, 2015 #10
    Sorry another, this may be a stupid question but, equation (41) ##R_{00}=...+O(\epsilon) ##, eq 42 ##R_{ab}=...+O(\epsilon) ## and then we sub (29) into (45), and obviusly don't neglect ##O(\epsilon)## in this substitution, but how is this consistent with neglectng it as done in (41) and (42)? Thanks.

12. Mar 14, 2015 #11

PeterDonis

2016 Award

He's using them both to mean the same thing. That's not really standard notation; in standard notation, ##\nabla## means the covariant derivative, not the partial derivative.

No. What he means when he says those equations are correct to first order in ##\epsilon## is that any additional terms are ##O(\epsilon^2)##. The equations as he writes them contain all terms up to ##O(\epsilon)##; they are not being neglected. The reason no terms in ##\epsilon## appear in equation (41) is that the ##O(\epsilon)## terms cancel when you expand the 00 component of equation (40).

13. Mar 27, 2015 #12
    So in eq (40) I have ##U^{\alpha}=(1,0,0,0)## and ##g_{00}=\eta_{00}+\epsilon h_{00}##, I can't see anything thats going to cancel
    Thanks.

14. Mar 28, 2015 #13

PeterDonis

2016 Award

No, you don't; the matter is slowly moving but you can't assume it's stationary. The article says (earlier on) that ##dx^i / dt## is ##O(\epsilon)##, and ##U^0## is the relativistic ##\gamma## factor so it depends on ##dx^i / dt##.

15. Mar 29, 2015 #14
    So ##U^{0} U^{0}=\frac{c^{2}}{c^{2}-v^{2}}=\frac{1}{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}=1+\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}+...##
    I would conclude to neglect the 2nd term onward, I'm not seeing where the ##c^{2}## comes from, thanks.

16. Mar 29, 2015 #15

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Yes, but you need ##U_0 U_0## to expand equation (40). Lower the index on ##U^0## with ##g_{00}## and see what happens. Note that equation (32) gives you an explicit expression for ##g_{00}##.

17. Mar 29, 2015 #16
    ##U_{0}U_{0}=\frac{1+\frac{2\Phi}{c^{2}}}{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}##, ##\Phi## the gravitational potential, unsure what to do next, is this gravitational potential a function of ##v## ?

18. Mar 29, 2015 #17

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Actually, you need two factors of ##g_{00}##, not one, because you're lowering two indexes (one for each ##U##).

Also, I'm no longer sure there will be any terms of ##O(\epsilon)## in the expansion. ##v^2 / c^2## is ##O(\epsilon^2)##.

Look at the equation for it earlier in the article and how that equation is derived.

19. Mar 30, 2015 #18
    I've seen the derivation but I'm still unsure , theres equation 31, but this looks to me like to solve for ##\Phi## you need to integrate ##v^{2}## wrt space coordinates.

We also have ##g_{00}=\eta_{00}+\epsilon h_{00}##, but we don't have an explicit expression for ##h_{00}##

20. Mar 30, 2015 #19

PeterDonis

2016 Award

The LHS of equation (31) is the acceleration ##dv / dt##, not ##v^2##. So it's telling you that the space derivative of ##\Phi## is equal to the time derivative of ##v##.

However, you don't necessarily need to find an actual solution for ##\Phi##; you just need to determine whether it's ##O(\epsilon)##, ##O(\epsilon^2)##, etc.

Yes, you do; comparing equations (30) and (31) gives you the relationship between ##h_{00}## and ##\Phi##. That relationship is expressed in equation (32); since ##g_{00} = \eta_{00} + \epsilon h_{00}##, you can read off ##h_{00}## from that equation.

21. Mar 31, 2015 #20
    • Ah thanks, so ##\Phi## is of the order ##O(\epsilon^{2})## and so ##\frac{(1+2\Phi)^{2}}{1-\frac{v^{2}}{c^{2}}}=\frac{c^{4}}{c^{2}}+O(\epsilon^{2})=c^{2}+O(\epsilon^{2})##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook