Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weak field newtonian limit

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    Hello,

I have to calculate the gravitational field strength g given by the De Sitter-Schwarzschild spacetime.

If G=c=1 I get:

[itex]R_{00}\simeq -kT_{00}+\frac{1}{2}kT\eta_{00}+\Lambda \eta_{00}\simeq [/itex]

[itex]-kT_{00}+\frac{1}{2}kT_{00}\eta^{00}\eta_{00} +\Lambda \eta_{00}\simeq -\frac{1}{2}kT_{00}+ \Lambda =-\frac{1}{2}k\rho+ \Lambda [/itex]

On the other side:

[itex]R_{00}\simeq -\Gamma_{00,j}^j \simeq -\frac{1}{2}\bigtriangledown^2g_{00}\simeq -\bigtriangledown^2 \phi[/itex]

Equaling:

[itex]\bigtriangledown^2 \phi=\frac{1}{2}k\rho-\Lambda=4piG\rho-\Lambda [/itex]

The first problem I have is that I don't know how to get this result in normal units, and the second problem is that, from here, I have to find the gravitational field strength g, and I don't know how to do it.

thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2012 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

What precisely are "normal units"? I would say the units as you use here are just fine. Second, the gravitational field strength is given by

[tex]
    g^i \equiv \partial^i \phi
    [/tex]

whereas you have found an expression for [itex] \partial_i \partial^i \phi [/itex]. Looking at the general method to solve the Poisson equation for lambda=0 should help you, e.g. here:

http://cass.ucsd.edu/~ppadoan/new_website/physics105b/Lecture3.pdf [Broken]

You have an extra constant, which modifies this solution. See also

http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0004037,

eqn.2.6.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Nov 5, 2012 #3
    With 'normal' units I mean G=c=1

5. Nov 5, 2012 #4
    Thank you haushofer, those links have helped me a lot.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Nov 5, 2012 #5

haushofer

Science Advisor

Well, there is no c in your equations, so that's easy: just put G=1 :P

Glad I could help :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook