1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weierstrass M-Test and Absolutely Uniformly Convergence

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    I'm posting this again because the other was plagued with errors in the first post. My fault and I apologize. I'll do a better job this time, I hope.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(n,x) = [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {( - 1)^n (1-x^{2})x^{n}}
    [/tex]
    a) Test for absolutely convergence on [0,1]
    b) Test for uniformly convergence on [0,1]
    c) Is [tex]
    \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|}
    [/tex] uniformly convergent on [0,1]?

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, a) is simple actually, a simple application of the root/ratio test will do, but here comes the catch.

I know that b) is true, since a power series is uniformly convergent inside its radius of convergence and the endpoint in this case is trivial. It just seems, however, that with a comparison with a geometric series, I can use the Weierstrass M-Test to prove all 3 at once.

For any 'x' in [0,1), I can choose an a such that 0 <= x <= a <1 by the density of R. Therefore
    [tex]
    |\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {f(n,x)} | <= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} < \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {(a)^n} = \frac{a}{1-a}
    [/tex]
    and for x = 1 and any a > 0
    [tex]
    |\sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} | <= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {|f(n,x)|} = 0 < \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\inf } {(a)^n} = \frac{a}{1-a}[/tex]

I have just chosen the function to be uniformally cauchy on [0,1) U {1} (have I?) by a basic comparison test with a series which is uniformly cauchy on (0,1) and by considering the end point separately.
    But it also seems that the Weierstrass M-Test gives me "Absolutely Uniformly Convergence" (that is, the absolute value of the function is also uniformly convergent) for free. Am I right? Is that always gonna hold true, or is this a property of power series?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2
    Alternatively, could I also just make a few arguments reasoning from (a).

I know the series is absolutely convergent on [0,1]. So its absolute value will be uniformly convergent inside its radius of convergence. I proceed to test the endpoint x = 1, which turns it into a series of zeros. So I have just shown its absolute value to be uniformly convergent on [0,1) U {1}.
    If the absolute value is uniformly convergent, than the series itself must be uniformly convergent.

Is this an acceptable way to proceed?

4. Mar 2, 2008 #3
    Please, I don't like constantly bumping my threads, but I'm really struggling to understand this concept. =/

5. Mar 2, 2008 #4
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure the Weierstrass M-test tests for uniform convergence by essentially testing for absolute uniform convergence...

6. Mar 3, 2008 #5
    Thank you many times for replying.

Okay, so is my proof mathematically sound?

I also have a quick follow up though regarding the order/flow of the argument.

In my argument, I essentially "fix" my 'x' and choose my 'a'. But it's also true that between 'a' and 1, I can find an 'x'. Now, I'm certain I can write a more rigorous argument showing that the limit of 'a' is 1, but I'm wondering if that's an overkill, since my whole purpose in bringing in teh Weierstrass M Test was to simplify things (as well as solve them, since it's the only method I know).

7. Mar 3, 2008 #6
    Well, I believe that to use the Weierstrass M-test you have to find a bound that works for all x on whatever set you're testing convergence in, not just a given x in the set. That is, your bound a is allowed to be a function of n, but it cannot be a function of x.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?