1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weierstrass Product convergence

1. Apr 24, 2012 #1
    Show that the infinite product [itex]f(z) = \prod\limits_{n = 0}^{\infty}(1 + z^{2^n})[/itex] converges on the open disc [itex]D(0,1)[/itex] to the function [itex]1/(1 - z)[/itex]. Is this convergence uniform on compact subsets of the disc?

This should actually be done by the comparison test.

For [itex]|z| < 1[/itex], we have that
    $$
    \frac{1}{1-z}=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|z|^{2^n}\leq \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}|z|^n
    $$

So now I need to show by partial products that there are no zeros in [itex]K\subset D(0,1)[/itex]. So I need to find an N such that forall n > N this holds. I am looking for some guidance on this piece.

$$
    f(z) = \prod_{n=0}^{N}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right) \prod_{n=N+1}^{\infty}\left(1+z^{2^n}\right)
    $$

We need to fix [itex]R\in\mathbb{R}^+[/itex]. Let [itex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/itex] such that [itex]|z_N|\leq 2R < |z_{N+1}[/itex] (is this correct-the inequalities?).

The first partial product is finite on [itex]D(0,1)[/itex] and the second partial product behaves well on [itex]D(0,1)[/itex].

What would be my choice of [itex]k_n[/itex] for this product?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2
    So continuing.

Then for [itex]|z|\leq R[/itex] and [itex]n>N[/itex] we have
    $$
    \left|\frac{z}{z_n}\right| <\frac{1}{2}, \quad\forall n>N
    $$
    so by Lemma: If [itex]|z|\leq 1/2[/itex], then [itex]\log\left[\prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1-\frac{z}{z_n}\right)\right]\leq 2|z|^n[/itex],
    $$
    \log\left|\left[\prod\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(1-z^{2^n}\right)\right]\right| = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left|\log(1+z^{2^n})\right| \leq 2\left(\frac{R}{z_n}\right)^{k_n}.
    $$

What choices of $k_n$ will allow convergence(uniform/absolute?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook