Net force and acceleration as a result of a parachute

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
ardour

Homework Statement


upload_2017-10-3_17-47-50.png

Homework Equations


F= ma

The Attempt at a Solution


For 8, I think the parachute causes Al and Betty to stop accelerating, so they both have the same net force. (Answer A)

F= ma
F=m*0=0
F=3m*0=0

For 9, I feel like Al should experience more air resistance than Betty to make up for his greater mass, but
I'm not sure what equation would be used to calculate this.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Good answer for 8.

For 9, your intuition is good. For a more carefully reasoned argument, consider the individual forces acting on Al alone. It's a good idea do draw a diagram showing the forces acting on an object (a "free body diagram"). What can you say about these forces? Do the same for Betty.