Weight/Strength of aluminum versus plastics

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bern123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Aluminum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 9K views
Bern123
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
At parity of maximum resistance before failure (in the case of aluminum, deformation), weighs less aluminum or plastic?
Let me explain better: if i apply a force of 1000N on one end of a rectangular plate with a fixed fulcrum on other side, beyond this force both materials deforms / break. The plastic will obviously have a greater thickness of aluminum to counter the force. Now, will weigh more the plate of plastic or aluminum?

p.s. between all plastics, plexiglass have a good resistance?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you'd need to look up the density and strength for whatever materials you're interested in.
This isn't really something that would be well known here on PF.
 
There are many different kinds of plastic you'd have to be specific about which one. I suspect there are different ways of preparing aluminum also (heat treating, peening etc.). You need to be more specific.
 
I've solved, I looked to the flexural strength that is calculated with standard dimensions independently of the material and density of material.