Weird Issue with the Chain Rule

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to a presentation and an equation involving a dynamical system flow on a smooth manifold. The main issue is understanding how the equation is true, as the notation can be confusing. The solution involves realizing that the two functions in the equation are independent of each other, and the flow acts as an operator on the smooth function. The conversation also mentions the importance of defining flows and the use of Cartesian products in the context of manifolds. The speaker ultimately concludes that the ambiguity of the notation caused the confusion.
Kreizhn

Homework Statement

I'm working on a quick problem regarding a presentation that I'm giving, but I've come across an issue that I can't seem to resolve. Namely

[tex] \displaystyle \left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(\phi^p (t+t_0) ) = \left( \phi^p \right) ^\prime (t_0) f [/tex]

Does anybody see how this is true?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \displaystyle \left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(\phi^p (t+t_0) ) = f^\prime(\phi^p(t_0)) \left(\phi^p \right)^\prime (t_0) [/tex]

All we know about f is that it is a smooth function and [itex] t_0 [/itex] was arbitrarily chosen, so I'm not seeing where we make the jump. (Note: [itex] \phi^p(t) [/itex] is a dynamical system flow on a smooth manifold, but I don't see how that should help)

Physics news on Phys.org
Is f some form of exponential, so f'(x)=f(x)?

All we know is that f is a smooth function on the manifold.

That first equation looks incomplete to me. There is no argument to f.

f is defined as a function on the manifold so the argument is generally omitted; otherwise, we would need to introduce an atlas on the manifold and define a local coordinate system using a coordinate chart. I don't think it's really necessary to the argument. Furthermore, [itex] (\phi^p)^\prime [/itex] is a locally defined vector field, and [itex] \phi^p [/itex] being a flow would imply that vector field is smooth. Thus it acts as an operator on f, in which case the argument for f is again not necessary.

I think the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

I probably should have defined flows, it would've made this a bit more obvious.

The flow maps the Cartesian product of a monoid and a manifold to a manifold. But [itex]\frac{d}{dt} [/itex] is a derivative that holds only with respect to the monoid. The way that that is written isn't implying that [itex] \phi^ [/itex] is in the argument of f, it's implying that this is indeed the product of two smooth functions, one of which is completely independent of t!

I think that must be the answer, but I really blame horrible and ambiguous notation...

1. What is the chain rule and why is it important in calculus?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that is used to find the derivative of a composite function, which is a function that is made up of two or more functions. It is important because it allows us to find the rate of change of a function that is composed of multiple smaller functions, making it a fundamental tool in many calculus applications.

2. How does the chain rule work?

The chain rule states that to find the derivative of a composite function, we must multiply the derivative of the outer function by the derivative of the inner function. In other words, we "chain" the derivatives together.

3. What are some common mistakes when applying the chain rule?

Some common mistakes when applying the chain rule include forgetting to use the product rule when finding the derivative of the outer function, not properly substituting the inner function when finding the derivative of the outer function, and not using the chain rule at all when it is necessary.

4. Can the chain rule be used for functions with multiple variables?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for functions with multiple variables. In this case, we use partial derivatives to find the derivative of the outer function with respect to the inner function.

5. How can I practice and improve my understanding of the chain rule?

To practice and improve your understanding of the chain rule, you can try solving various calculus problems that involve composite functions, watch tutorials or take online courses on the topic, and work through practice exercises and quizzes to test your knowledge.