1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird words. Someone please clarify.

1. Oct 9, 2009 #1
    The average velocity v of an object moving through a displacement during a time interval.

I understand what average velocity is.

My question is what does it mean when an object moves THROUGH a displacement.

I think I've seen this using angles as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2009 #2

Pythagorean

Gold Member

It just means that the object moves from point a to point b. The displacement is measured by subtracting point b from point a. When you're working things out theoretically, you have to chose an origin (the place that you want to call x=0).

So if you call point a, five meters from x, and your scale is based on meters, then point as is where x=5. And let's say point b is x=12

Then to move through this displacement, you'd move from x=5 to x=12
    the displacement is 12-5 = 7. You've moved 7 meters (i.e. you've displaced the point 7 meters).

Sometimes, you're equation doesn't require knowing the origin or the point a and b, it just requires knowing the displacement. Such is velocity. It's the displacement in position over the displacement in time, so going back to our example, if you've moved 7 meters in 2 seconds, then you're velocity would be:

7m/2s = 2.5 m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook